Hot Rod Forum banner

supercharging a 72 chevy 350

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  39 chev 
#1 ·
ok so im building a 1923 t-bucket rat rod and im starting from the motor and going from there. i have a 350 block. the numbers on the block say its a 1972. now im only 17 so im still learning in the process of me doing this project with the help of my dad (who is a mechanic) but i wanted to know if someone could tell me what im going to have to do to this engine when im rebuilding it so i can stick a supercharger on it. i know i need a supercharger friendly cam. .. not sure what else.

#2 ·
ok so im building a 1923 t-bucket rat rod and im starting from the motor and going from there. i have a 350 block. the numbers on the block say its a 1972. now im only 17 so im still learning in the process of me doing this project with the help of my dad (who is a mechanic) but i wanted to know if someone could tell me what im going to have to do to this engine when im rebuilding it so i can stick a supercharger on it. i know i need a supercharger friendly cam. .. not sure what else.

#5 ·
how much power do you need? If its for looks and not a serious race car you can under drive the blower with a near stock cam and make 400 plus reliable hp,very cheap.There are a couple cars like that in my neighbourhood,2 of them have been running over 10 years with nothing other than normal services.one rat rod is raced a few times every year.It runs low 12,s with 2 carter AFBs.Obviously the car makes 400 HO or less

#7 ·
Hey Grant, I'm not a moron! I did my "get this book" on the thread he posted on the Engines board before the threads were combined.

Hey jeseusmi, Grant (GT23T) and I are both blown T-bucket guys. We strongly recommend you educate yourself with that book so that you can ask the right questions when you are ready to build your motor.

#10 ·
In my opinion a stock block can't take more than say 400hp on a regular basis so you don't need to worry about a "supercharger friendly cam;" A stock cam will do just fine for 400hp.

1) Will a centrifugal supercharger put strain on the crank nose---i don't know; Small block chevy crank noses CANNOT take the strain of a roots type blower. (not sure about the smaller ones though---144, 177's etc.)

This needs to be researched first and foremost.

If you want to go roots and are happy with around 400hp/450tq then i would at the very least be looking at a forged crank with a larger nose----such as what scat offers. Personally, if i was going to go all that way, i would also be looking at a hi-po block such as bowite or dart; This way i can just crank to boost up to get 500, 600, 700 etc. ponies.

#15 ·
i think it's somewhere in between 400 and 500hp, so i said 400 to be safe. And as far as cracking i think it will start in the base of the cylinder wall, but i would have to double check. But i really believe that stock blocks really can't handle more than 400 to 500hp. Not for very long at least. i would welcome any comments criticizing or augmenting my statements.

#16 ·
But more importantly, i would like to apologize to jesumi for using the "w" term; This was completely inappropriate----for an adult, like me, to use a term like that with you--a child. Even though i'm pretty sure you know what it means.

Please accept my apology and i'd like to ask for everyone else's understanding as well. This was wrong. Let us substitute the phrase "blowing smoke" instead.

So, with that out of the way, i think it's really important to establish a budget for this (and any) project. It does no good to start and then run out of money. Also, i don't think it's wise to spend everything you got on an engine. i think 20% is reasonable.

#17 ·
I have been running GMC 6-71 and 4-71 blowers on stock small blocks for about 35 years,and have never had a problem.I have used them on 327,350 and 400 small blocks,all with stock dampers and cranks. I am currently driving a 39 chevy coupe with a 6-71 blown 350.I rebuilt the engine in my home garage using all stock parts. I am also building a T-bucket,this one is powered with a stock Targetmaster 350 using a 4-71 blower driven at crank speed.I am running the 6-71 underdriven for street driving. I am 65 years old,and I see you are 17 if you plan on thrashing that engine(Racing etc) you will definately need forged pistons and a steel crank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.