Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Supercharging and fuel injecting a 383 Chevy
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 08:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Supercharging and fuel injecting a 383 Chevy

My friend just bought a Camaro with a 383 in it. I don't know much about the engine yet.... 400 crank I think with the 4.030 bore and 3.760 stroke. It's carburated.

My question is this....

This Camaro is one he wants to drive around on weekends. He wants it to be driveable. But he also wants to drag race it. So I want to find a happy medium for him.

First, we want to fuel inject it. For driveablity and the obvious benefits. What are my options?

....and supercharge it (if possible). What's the initial compression ratio on a 383? I was thinking a 471 or a 671 roots blower (BDS)? Or perhaps a centrifugal... like a Paxton NOVI-2000 Race?

For a drag race setup will the lag of the centrifugal become a problem? what do you guys think? I know the centrifugals are more effecient and I know we could go into a huge battle about what is better, but, I'm a little lost at what to do. The roots will definetly come on quicker, but will it make the power up top that the centrifugal will and I could get it to start making boost quickly..... plus with a stroker like a 383 the low end grunt should make traction interesting anyways, right?

Thanks for any help! any tips on making this 383 make some serious power would be great!! I've been searching the forums here for other 383 information and that has been really helpful too!

-Chad