Superior Glass Works fiberglass fenders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Superior Glass Works fiberglass fenders

Pretty new member here.
I just purchased a pair of 2" wider fiberglass rear fenders for my 1937 Chev. coupe.
I read the company review here, and found that a member was upset because the mounting lip was not long enough.
However, this is not my problem,(if I have one.)
When I trial fitted the fenders, I found that if the rear most mounting surface by the rear bumper/pan was clamped and was flush, and I had the top of the fender mounting lip up against the reveal along the top, the forward/lowest part(by where the running board would be,) sticks out to the side, with a gap of about 2-3" or so.
The factory steel fenders fit the same way, and need to be bent in slightly,leading me to believe that I will need to slightly force the new fender into alignment with the body.
My question is whether or not a slight bending of the glass fender in order to align it will mess me up.
The fenders will be painted off of the car, and welt will be used on final assy.
So, after paint, the fenders will have to be tweaked a little during assy.
Will this cause me problems?
Thanks for any help.
Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

That's a hard call,I have seen some last,And I have seen it cause problem's later.I like to make the part fit the best I can.even if I have to re-glass it.It not a good idea to put fiberglass in a bind.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
I would never "tweek" a fiberglass part. I would "massage" it to fit properly. This may take some "shaving", some filling, or hogging out holes. What ever it takes, I would make the part bolt right up solid where you want it. Then paint it and you will KNOW that it will fit during assembly and down the road it won't crack or fail.

Brian
Old 04-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One cannot pull glass around like you can metal..if you need to build an extension on to the glass fender so it fits up to the body of the car..On these old cars they have become somewhat to a whole lot of warped and bent over te years so things do not fit up like we think they should..

Sam
Old 04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Last photo:

It is possible to change the shape somewhat of glass fenders. I had sort of the same problem on one of my rear fenders that did not pull up close to the body. I went ahead and bolted it up as good as I could without forcing it too much. Over a period of several weeks I set the car in the hot summer sun and slowly pulled the bolts up a little each day until the fender fit flush. I must stress, that you cannot rush this process and trying to make up a 3" gap may not be possible in your case. I also did the same with my glass running boards.

Vince
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
boatbob2

fiberglass fenders.....

Hi,i bought fiberglass fenders from FAIRLANE michigan, for my 48 ford coupe,very nice,good fit.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Keep in mind that 'glass fenders are made from the information obtained from original parts. Those fenders were probably not new when they were used. The bodies were not that precise in the first place, so they did not fit that well originally. That means that the 'glass fenders may or may not be shaped properly. If they have been sitting on a shelf orin a warehouse for some time without being mounted, that also increases the chances of a poor fit.

If they have to proper curves and bends, but are twisted or something similar, they can often be made to fit relatively easy. If there is something wrong where, if metal it would require stretching or shrinking, it will take some work.

If they are twisted, or something similar, often that repair can be made by clamping and using some heat. It will take sometime and has to be done slowly, and a little at a time. If you try to force things, it will be stressed, and crack later.

Aaron
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Thanks all.

I ordered the fenders about two weeks ago, they were out of stock, and said they were going to lay some up in the next week or so.
So, they called last tuesday and said they were ready to pick up.
I picked them up on wed., so they weren't sitting long. they were hauled home flat in my pick up, no stress there.
I took some pictures while my wife held them in place, with the aid of a clamp on the rear, and am going to call Superior tomorrow.
They definately have about a three inch gap at the forward bottom edge, and if you figure a 1-1/2" mounting lip, that means about a 4" or so "tweak."
They are pretty stout glass, and seem to be well made, just the fitting problem,same on both sides.
I can see grinding them down and glassing in more lip, I have never done any glass work before, so I'm sure there is a long learning curve.
Then, we have the problem of the wider running boards fitting also. the new fenders stick out quite a bit farther at the bottom, even if I gently bend the fender in to close the gap,(which opens up a huge gap along the top of the fender,) the original running boards will not fit the wider bottom portion.
By glassing in more of a lip so the fender is "relaxed" when installed, I have absolutely no idea what that is going to do to the fit between the fender and running board.
As far as I can tell, there has been no body damage to the rear of the car, the metal looks really good, both from inside and out, other than some rust out on the rear lower corner, and a little in the front of the wheel well on the pass. side.The drivers side is in great shape in the rear, no rust.
Thanks again for all of the advice, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Maybe you could post some photos and we could let you know of ways to correct your problems.

Aaron
Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

I called Superior today and talked to the owner.
He says that I shouldn't be afraid to bend them, that this is common to these fenders.
He also said the way to fit them was to start with the running boards mounted, and start by bolting in the lower fronts of the fenders to the running board, and then working my way back, pushing the fender up and in, then drilling a mounting hole, bolting, then repeating until the back is reached.
He also claims that he has never had a fender crack from installing them this way, he has only seen someone break one by attaching the rear and front, then trying to stretch one up toward the top of the arch, "stretching" the fender.
So, I'll get some wider running boards, install them and photograph the whole install, step by step.
Then, if something cracks, I'll have documentation when I return them.
Again folks, thanks for all the advice, I told him what some of my concerns were,(some mentioned by you,) and he said that his method would cause no problems.
I, on the other hand, tend to believe that they should fit without bending them and forcing them.
This company has been in business 30 years, and they told me that they have sold 4 sets of these wider fenders in the last week or so.
We'll see.

Last edited by Rick4070; 04-28-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: post is not back to back like I posted.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Good luck !!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
Maybe you could post some photos and we could let you know of ways to correct your problems.

Aaron
I took my card in and tried to print some pictures for my own use, but the card couldn't be read at the Walgreens, or the Rite Aid!!
I can scroll through the pics while on the camera, but don't know why the machine can't read them.
I am a real dinosaur when it comes to posting photos and things, maybe I'll have my employer, who is much more savvy about such things help me in the a.m.
Is there a size limit for the files? I seem to remember reading something about that on another thread about fiberglass parts.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Rick4070]Thanks all.

I ordered the fenders about two weeks ago, they were out of stock, and said they were going to lay some up in the next week or so.
So, they called last tuesday and said they were ready to pick up.

That may also be your problem...Quick layup, quick pop out and now you better brace them or install them so they can cure in the right shape or you will have potato chips for fenders. I leave my stuff in the molds for at least 2 to 3 weeks if is a big part like fender.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

[Quote] That may also be your problem...Quick layup, quick pop out and now you better brace them or install them so they can cure in the right shape or you will have potato chips for fenders. I leave my stuff in the molds for at least 2 to 3 weeks if is a big part like fender.[ Quote]

I'm not trying to defend their process, but I was told that they leave the fenders in the molds for at least three full days before popping them out, and they were stored on edge when I picked them up, not laying in a stressed position.
Both fenders have the same gap, and when I fitted the original steel fenders back on, they both flared out the same as the glass ones.
I am hesitant to make a frame and brace/tweak them and then let sit, because I won't know they will fit once they sit for a while.
I ordered the wider running boards today, and am first on the list for them.
Their web site guarantees that the fenders will fit original cars, and that is what I have, no body work done on either side.
I was unable to post pictures today, but will try again tommorow.
Thanks again, everybody.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Oddo nut

Last wiki edit: VW engine basics
Last journal entry: time lurches on
Last photo:
Location: sunny south(maybe rainy,haven't looked outside today) florida
Wiki Edits: 10

re; superior glassworks fiberglass fenders

If the fenders are as green as they say your best bet may be to pull them in a little at a time and they should settle. Tom

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.