supping up my camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Proficient Motorsports - Owner

Last journal entry: The Trucks Redemption
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

supping up my camaro

What do you think i should put in my camaro. I have a v 6 now. I was thinking a 350 with a blower. I want to get alot of hp out of a 350 any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 08:18 PM

What kind of camaro. And, just curious, where does a 16 year old get money to nuy a blower?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

It will be cheaper to sell your V6, and then buy one with a V8 in it.

if you don't wan't to sell it. if it's a 3.8L or a 4.3L, save up for a blower and headers.
If it's a 2.8L it's not worth it.

Shane.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

first off lets start out with a few questions, have you ever driven a car with a lot of power? do you know how to work on a blown engine? do you have lots of money? your gonna need to stiffen the frame on the camaro because it`s a unibody, it uses a subframe, so you`d have to get subframe connectors to stiffen the body, elsewise it`ll bust the windshield and flex the body.
You`ll need another transmission, and you`ll need a bullet proof rearend to back it all up. not saying this to put you down or be smart, I asked the questions because you can`t enjoy a car dead or in a wheel chair or without a license, also because blowers aren`t simple bolt on and go, you have to learn about boost and how to tune it. since a small block chevy is a bolt in with the correct mounts, why not start out with a mild 350 and go from there?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM

If you go with a 350 you are going to have to setup the whole entire 350 for a blower, lower compression, blow-thru carb setup(would be a wise decision), correct cam grind..etc..etc..etc..You can't just bolt on a blower and go.

-Eric
Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

I don't know where everyone gets off telling younger guys that they can't afford what they want to do. Yes, some are dreaming, but some also work hard and save money to work on the car/truck they love.

Dreadlord - Go for it if that is what you want to do. I would first start by finding the 350 you want, build it a little, and put it in first. Later you can add the blower. Just do a little at a time and it will go easier and faster and you feel like you will never get it done.

By the time I turned 18 I had already spent around $8,000 on my 63 chevy truck. Initial cost=$500. New motor, tranny, wheels, tires, exhaust, bed, interior, radio, radio....I could go on and on= about $7500. I started working the day I turned 15 and saved just to work on my truck.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

go for the swap, dreadlord. don't know where you're getting your cash, and don't care. if you've got the bucks, go for it.
eric is right, though. you'll need to build your engine based around your blower. how much boost dictates static comp. ratio ect ., ect. you need good gaskets, and sometimes a crankcase evacuaion system. rings are a factor when pressurizing your intake charge, and... you get the idea. keep asking questions, though. the only thing dumber than the question is not asking it.lol
Old 02-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

woah people, it was a question about how to "soop up" the camero, don't tell him he can't do it, tell him how to do it right! Got a couple of things you should think about, however. The most practical of which is money. I don't know how much you have, I'm not going to ask, but I'm thinking you want to do it as cheap as possible (wouldn't anybody?! ). Please trust me when I say I've swapped motors before. Take the amount of money you think it's going to cost and double it if you're swapping a motor. Always little stuff that comes up. You probably have the 2.8 in that car too, and that doesn't have a transmission that is going to work with a v8. The most solid advice so far is to get a different car that already has a v8. The next thing you have to worry about, whether or not you buy a new car, anything you drive with a v8 has to be insured as such and it costs a LOT more money. Don't try to get around this, please, by putting a v8 in a v6 car and not telling the insurance company. What will happen is if you get in a wreck, they'll see your smallblock and say "nice motor, we're not covering you, good luck in court."

So. If you're in it for all the costs involved, can reasonably afford the project of at least 2500 dollars (transmission will be more) you can make it happen. Why don't you try the targetmaster goodwrench 350 motor? Its a 260 horse 50000 mile warranty motor for 1200 dollars. I would assume you could upgrade this motor once you get more money and ideas under your belt.

Food for thought-

K
Old 02-19-2004, 01:15 AM

Killerformula's advice is sound.

I will also mention that a buddy of mine put an underdriven 6-71 on a Goodwrench 350 with nothing more than a cam swap. It went into a chop top S-10 and he beat on that thing with no mercy. And by God, that thing held up for 3 years, until which it was traded off and I lost track of the car....

Keep in mind, when hot rodders first started hot rodding, it was not uncommon to build a blower motor out of a bone stock bottom end with a huffer taken right off an old diesel...

The technology was no where near as reliable as it is now, but when something blew up, young kids learned from it and started over.

The shiney glitzey parts that are available in a Summit catalogue are very convenient, but I feel it has taken away a lot of creativity and experimentation.

I think a better attitude would be:
"Hey kid, give it a shot, and let me know how ya do!"
Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks to the guys supporting me lol, and as far as the money goes my dad owns a grass cutting business. I dont know where your from but here we can make heck of a lot of money. So money isnt that big of a factor, and i wasnt planning on doing it all at once i should have noted that.

But thanks for the advice
Old 02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I say sell the Camero and buy a Chevy truck. cheaper on insurance, V8 power, TONS of aftermarket parts, can be made to
handle very well, and you can haul your mowers in it.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 AM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gen3_with_455
Put in a Buick 455
and of course a subframe connector kit!!!
Nothing wrong with that!!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:41 AM

Last photo:

Im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you have a 82-92 camaro. Nothing wrong with that i have one to, i love it.

What they said about subframe connectors is VERY VERY important, and the rear end, the little 7.5 wont handle that kind of power.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

this will sound stupid but explain what are and where i can get subframe connectors

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.