Supplied air hood and smelling clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Supplied air hood and smelling clear

Does anyone that has one of these systems (SAS 9810) have problems still smelling fumes? I know it is not coming from the pump. The pump is over 100ft away from my booth. Normal painting it is fine. But when I shoot clear (my home booth does not exhaust the greatest) and it gets foggy, I occasionally smell the fumes.

It seems to usually happen when I need to spray an area that is confined (trunk etc) and is going to have a lot of over spray blow back on to me. Fumes only last for 10 or 15 seconds but long enough for a breath or two. This happened to me 3 or 4 times last night while shooting the body of my '32. Thought "this is not good" but not bad enough to stop and ruin the paint job. Then I wake up today will a massive sinus headache. Now I get sinus headaches anyways and it might be a coincidence, but it seems odd.

Those of you that use these light weight hoods, do you do something to seal the seams better or not have this issue? Please help. Not sure what to do. Paid lot of money for this system to be safe and now wondering if I should have stocked up on the charcoal masks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAS9800-18.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	39706  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Supplied air hood and smelling clear

the pump outside the booth your in ?

where's your exhaust drawing out ,and fresh air intake to booth .
fumes stay at floor level , you need to draw fumes from floor level ,out of booth .
i put a opening at floor level and a 6 inch duct pipe out the roof up high above my garage roof .
this will draw like a fireplace and no fan needed .
i cut my fans off and leave it to draw whats left .
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

My exhaust is low at one end of the booth. Intake is in the ceiling, but I use a tube to vent the crawl space above the ceiling that is drawn from close to the exhaust. So it is possible that I am circulating some fumes.

However, shouldn't the fresh air system keep me breathing fresh clean air even if it is very foggy in the booth? I would think so.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you have the one with the hood rather than the mask sometimes if you are in an odd position they will allow some leakage around the collar area..only thing I can say is get the mask style as i think they work better.Makes sense as you are working in the trunk area .Just my opinion though..

Sam
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

You maybe right, but I tuck the cuff or whatever you call it that hangs down into my paint suit. What does everyone else use? The mask type with fresh air and then a head sock? I guess I can do that. I think it is like another $200+ though.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markha
My exhaust is low at one end of the booth. Intake is in the ceiling, but I use a tube to vent the crawl space above the ceiling that is drawn from close to the exhaust. So it is possible that I am circulating some fumes.

However, shouldn't the fresh air system keep me breathing fresh clean air even if it is very foggy in the booth? I would think so.
if it has fresh air way to attic big enough to draw it out , it will .
i paint most times with just the paper mask , no paint hardly ever on it when done , and i paint inside car too .
does your exhaust fumes travel through a duck system and out a duck system ?
mine has to go 30 feet to fan with outside motor so i don't go BOOM then mine travels another ten feet and i dump it down over a barrel of water with the pipe just a inch off water .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2609.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	39710   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2611.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	39711  
Old 07-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

mabee you could try putting your hood on an then a tee shirt over that ...sealing the hood in tighter around your neck. but it sounds like you also need more air flow or movement
Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

You can't really pull a tshirt over it because the frame inside is like a welding helmet. By the time you got the shirt on the neck would be so stretched out that it would be pointless.

Yes the booth probably need better air flow.

But does anyone that is using this hood (I thought there were quite a few people) have this problem. Still seems that with a fog, I should have clean air. And I am not sure it is coming from the neck as it is tucked in my painting suit.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Ahh a paint suit ...same thing the point is getting it tucked in.I personaly dont use a suit or the hood (to restrictive)but with the good air flow in my booth I cant even smell the paint without a mask,But I still use one and a head sock ...if your smellng paint you have a problem a serious problem ,find out what it is ...what kind of hood is it?if its a cheap HF one just throw it out and get a good disposible mask at the paint store thats pretty much what all the pros use but in Cali things are a little differnt,I think they MAKE you wear that hood and pretty soon they'll Make those guys use waterborne paint too.The mask I use costs twenty bucks and comes in a resealable bag...Have you covered the air supply hose with your hand to see if it leaks?it'll act like a vacume pulling in the booth air if it does
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
But does anyone that is using this hood (I thought there were quite a few people) have this problem.
I don't have that specific air pump and hood but I use the HobbyAir with the full hood like yours, so the system is quite similar. I've had no problem with being able to smell the fumes and my shop gets pretty clouded up when I shoot clear...just like yours. In fact, I'm totally sold on these fresh air units and recommend them highly even for novice painters.

I don't have a solution for you but I can tell you I don't tuck my hood in at all. It just loosely hangs over the top of my paint suit. I specifically asked HobbyAir about the proper way the neck of the hood was supposed to seal and they told me it works totally on the pressure difference between the hood air and the surrounding air. The fresh air being pumped into the hood prevents the shop air from getting in, even thought the hood is just hanging loosely around your neck.

Just as an experiment, you might want to try shooting your clear next time with the hood not tucked in. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that that would actually improve things...but if might be worth a try.

The only other thing I can think of is that your pump is not putting out enough air for some reason and isn't creating a large enough pressure differential with the surrounding booth air. Perhaps if you pump is 100 feet away as you mentioned, you might try it closer and with a shorter hose. I believe my hose is just 40' long.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
but with the good air flow in my booth I cant even smell the paint without a mask
Wow... that is some good air flow. Did you build the booth? What fans used. Down flow or side?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I don't have a solution for you but I can tell you I don't tuck my hood in at all. It just loosely hangs over the top of my paint suit. I specifically asked HobbyAir about the proper way the neck of the hood was supposed to seal and they told me it works totally on the pressure difference between the hood air and the surrounding air. The fresh air being pumped into the hood prevents the shop air from getting in, even thought the hood is just hanging loosely around your neck.

The only other thing I can think of is that your pump is not putting out enough air for some reason and isn't creating a large enough pressure differential with the surrounding booth air. Perhaps if you pump is 100 feet away as you mentioned, you might try it closer and with a shorter hose. I believe my hose is just 40' long.
Interesting. So on your hood does it have a fabric neck cuff that looks kind of like the neck of a sweat shirt? That is how mine is but it it is not close to being tight against my neck and the manual suggests tucking the thing in. I don't think it an air flow issue because the pump is rated for a 100ft hose and the thing gets so much air flow that at times it wants to lift off my head. What do your seams look like? Mine are stitched but not sealed. There are small holes where the needle stitched. I am sure the idea is that the air flow will force more air out. But some times I get in a position where I need to spray clear into a spot where a decent flow is coming back on me. I wonder if this is part of the issue.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM

no I didnt build this booth it's a devilbis,But I think cboy is on to something there.....how long can you hold your breath????
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
So on your hood does it have a fabric neck cuff that looks kind of like the neck of a sweat shirt?
Here's a shot of mine looking up through the neck hole. You can see it has an elastic band inside the fabric (like your t-shirt analogy) and it does draw the hood in a bit around you neck, but it is not at all tight. I could probably get almost an whole other neck up in there...if someone wanted to get real up close and personal.

Also, the seams on mine appear to just be sewn...no sealer that I can detect.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Wow... your hood looks like it is made a lot better than mine. The stitching and all. I will post some photos of mine tonight. Maybe I should have gone with the Hobby Air system.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.