supplied air system question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

supplied air system question

I have read a great deal here about the need for a supplied air system with the paints in use today. Looking at the systems available it seems most are simply an oil-less air compressor with some filtering attached. Well I have a spare oil-less compressor so can you guys recommend a site where I could purchase a filtering system to utilize my compressor with. I don't mind buying the right equipment but if I have a portion and can save some money, why not?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

Same principle (on some types anyway) but it will not work. The compressor uses low volume and higher pressure while the breathing unit is much lower pressure but a higher volume of air. Besides you don't know what kind of material those Chinese used in building that air compressor pump and since they deteriorate too fast a lot of the junk from the pump itself would be in the air flow. If you cheap out on paint and it fails you can redo it but if you harm your health it may not be so easy to recover.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I just got this unit from Hobbyair (tried it out last night for the first time). http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=HP

I believe you can order just the hose and face mask/hood if you are set on using your existing compressor. Not sure about buying the filtering system separately but you can go to the site or email Len at the address shown in the contact info.

However, I'm with oldred on this one. There are a couple of hobby units on the market in the $400 price range and they are built specifically to supply air to keep human beings alive in a room full of ISOs. I'd stick with one of those rather than trying to cobble together your own from unknown parts. If you do a search of HR.Com you'll find others who have made up their own systems like you are thinking about doing. You might want to track a couple of those down and then PM the posters to see if they are still using those units.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I'll second the Hobby Air setup. Purchased one about 5 years ago and I love it. It is well worth the price.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I'll second the Hobby Air setup. Purchased one about 5 years ago and I love it.
Just curious. Did you get one with a mask or one with an air fed hood? I got the air fed hood because I wanted full body protection anyhow (paint suit, gloves, boots AND hood)...so figured it was the smart way to go.

When I tried out the unit last night I noticed that the hood does not make an air tight seal around the neck. I emailed Len (at my supplier, autobodystore) to see if this was correct. He responded that the hood is designed this way. The positive air pressure in the hood prevents any contaminants from entering the hood from around the neck area AND the loose fitting neck is the means by which your breath and any excess supplied air is exhausted from the hood. Just thought others might want to know this in the event they go with the air fed hood rather than a mask. I was a bit confused by the setup at first, but makes sense after Len's explanation.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Good advice, Thanks

Your right on about your health oldred, you may not get it back. Thanks for the advice guys......
Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Heres a little more on the subject of supplied air and respirators.

http://www.1969supersport.com/respirators.html

Rob
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Just curious. Did you get one with a mask or one with an air fed hood? I got the air fed hood because I wanted full body protection anyhow (paint suit, gloves, boots AND hood)...so figured it was the smart way to go.

When I tried out the unit last night I noticed that the hood does not make an air tight seal around the neck. I emailed Len (at my supplier, autobodystore) to see if this was correct. He responded that the hood is designed this way. The positive air pressure in the hood prevents any contaminants from entering the hood from around the neck area AND the loose fitting neck is the means by which your breath and any excess supplied air is exhausted from the hood. Just thought others might want to know this in the event they go with the air fed hood rather than a mask. I was a bit confused by the setup at first, but makes sense after Len's explanation.
I purchased the one with the mask. Plenty of pressure so no worries on either the mask or the hood. If I was going to paint on a regular basis I would have gone for the hood but since I only paint one project at a time (about every 3-4 years) I didn't see the need. I bought mine through Len at the AutoBodyStore as well. He's a great guy.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.