Hot Rod Forum banner

Supply and spares recommendation

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
As I mentioned in http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/buying-new-me-upholstery-sewing-machine-181793.html]another thread[/URL] I have a new-to-me Consew 255RB-3. I'm putting together an order for http://www.cutsewservice.com. I plan on buying zipper feet and a couple of other presser feet sets and some bobbins.

I'm interested in suggestions on any other spares or consumables I should get to have on hand.

Also, what size needle do I want for 92 and 138 thread? I saw a chart somewhere and am not finding it now.

Thanks!!

#2 · (Edited)
You don't really need a zipper foot, you can make zippers with a welt foot or presser foot with no problem. I don't even own a zipper foot. The only other feet you need are single right feet. This gives you a foot that has nothing to the left side of it. If you sew on "J" channel, it is invaluable. There are single right feet, and single right upturn feet.

The only rule of thumb is that the thread needs to easily go through the eye of the needle. If it does, it will work for that size thread.

Size 92 thread you can use a size 18 needle and up to size 24.

Size 138 thread you will need about a size 20 needle up to size 24.

Here are the feet that I use. From left to right, 1/4" welt foot, presser foot, double welt foot, 3/4" welt foot (to make windlace with 1/2" sponge rod) 5/8" welt foot (to make windlace with 3/8" sponge rod) single right foot, and single right upturn foot.

Here is a thread that shows how to sew a zipper with a welt foot or presser foot. Go to post #14. CLICK HERE

Attachments

Reactions: brmax
#4 · (Edited)
Order some of the small parts that will stop you from using your machine. Things like a new spring steel tension for your bobbin case and the two screws that hold it. The two screws that hold the curved plate that hold the bobbin case in place, a couple of the felt pads that the thread goes through just above the needle. The screw that holds the rear part of the walking foot on. (in case you have a tendency to drop things like I do)

Your machine has an oiling system, so make sure you have sewing machine oil.

BTW, there are two kinds of 1/4" welt feet. The kind that is in my picture, and another kind that has part of the back left corner removed to be able to turn 90 degree corners better.

To determine what size welt foot to use, take the diameter of the welt cord and add 3/32 to it. In other words, 5/32 welt cord plus 3/32 equals 8/32, or 1/4". Use the closest foot in size. I use the 1/4" welt foot for 5/32, 4/32, and 3/32" welt cord. You need to be careful with the 3/32" welt cord so you don't sew over it.

#7 ·
I was told by a supplier that 69 was the size to use for auto interior and 92 was more for marine seating. Will I go wrong using 69 thread? I'm a newbie trying to learn how to do interiors and will be doing the interior of a 66 mercury as my first test. The 69 thread is bonded and lubed Dupont Nylon.

#9 · (Edited)
The size thread you use is more personal preference than anything else. Size for size, nylon is generally stronger than polyester, although that is not always the case. There is nothing wrong with using size 69 nylon thread. Size 69 nylon is the thread of choice for furniture upholstery companies and also most auto upholstery companies because it is strong and is less expensive than polyester. The reason I use size 92 Sunguard polyester thread is that polyester stands up to UV rays better than nylon, and is just as strong or stronger than nylon. It is also more color fast than nylon. I also just like the look of the thicker thread.

BTW, Bonded thread is always lubricated, that's part of the definition of bonded thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.