supra vs pinto - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by jus102004
lol the guy told me hed smoke me, how much horsepower would i need to smoke a supra twin turbo with 900 HP ??
Quote:
Originally posted by comet boy
a stock Supra will not beat you in the 1/4mile. the gear ratios are a lot higher and make a lot less power than people think. you need a four link or ladder bar in the back of that pinto. and tub it.

Don't forget......it's a 900 horse Supra........hahahahahahaha

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 05:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

lol thanks you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2004, 10:03 AM

Last journal entry: Disaster
Last photo:

900 hp supras

Ok, I've got my flame suit and my slam armor on, but I do think you'd run a real close race with a stock supra with that set up. Those supras are friggin' fast. and they don't take much to make them really really fast.
The supra is one of the most overlooked cars in this hot rodding world of ours.
not only am I into old V8 stuff ('50 chevy 1/2 ton w/camero subframe, 58 Impala w/'96 454, '64 caddy rag top), but I used to race motorcycles (crotch rockets on road tracks). Anyway, one time, on one of my bike lists someone posted a link to a video of a supra beating a Hyabusa in the 1/4. (for those that don't know, a 'busa is one of the fastest production bikes made. Easily over 200 mph with a rear sprocket change and quarter mile times are low 10/high 9 off the showroom floor). I didnt' believe it until I saw it. There are these guys building crazy supras. Of course there are guys building crazy fast everything, but those supras do seem to take exceptionally well to modifications. I'm also talking about keeping the supra engine in the car! I did some research on these cars and from what I can tell, it doesn't take much more than a turbo swap and a chip to turn a stock 330 hp supra into a 500 hp beast. Also remember, those things are light, and well engineered. I doubt your buddy has a 900 hp car, but he might, because they are out there. If I remember, the 900 hp supras are running a single turbo.
If you really want to see what you may be up against, this board is probably not the right place. Do some surfing and you'll find some resources. Then come back and post what you find... should start some interesting discussion.
-alfie
Old 02-16-2004, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

a supra had between 330 and 350 Hp depending on if its destined for the US or the japaneese home market. to tune it to 500 Hp you require bigger turbos, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and other small items, but its defimately possible and not beyond the pocket book of normal people. but to turn 900 Hp from a 3 liter inline six engine you need some serious, and seriously expensive stuff. I recently read an article about a 920 Hp Supra where they listed the modifications and problems encountered. and the engine alone cost over 35.000$ with custom toyota racing everythng, and greddy and hks add ons to make your head spinn. Secondly the suspension on a supra is not setup for drag racing and i doubt that a roadworthy 900 Hp supra can go much faster that 9.5ET. Midn you that is fast! bit a street car just isnt faster. and if you are willing to spend the cash you can buy a 1400 Hp twin turbo ford 5.0 based engine on www.racingjunk.com for about the same that it costs to make 900Hp in a supra. and that should propell you to victory, or kill you in the process...

but if you build smart and with plenty of nitrous, low weight, slics and the right trannt you should be able to break 10.5 seconds without breaking the bank. and i really think that will beat a manually shifted supra in low profile tures with an over anxious kid behind the wheel!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.