surface rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west palm beach,fl
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
surface rust

I just purchased a double axle trailer that sat out in the previous owners yard for approx 3 years. The trailer has fine surface rust over about 60% of it. The other 40% still has paint on it. How do I treat / convert the trailer prior to painting it.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
35WINDOW's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: utah
Age: 59
Posts: 1,395
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I would have it Sandblasted-it would clean it up completely, leaving a Surface ready for a good coat of Epoxy Primer-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west palm beach,fl
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This trailer is made up of 3 inch x 3 inch steel and is very heavy. I do not have the money to get it sand blasted. A buddy of mine mentioned something about some type of chemical called ospho. Is that something that I can apply then top coat with a compatable paint. This trailer is a large utility trailer and that will be its only purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Ripped's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 360
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This stuff might work for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 1
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did my snowmobile trailer in POR-15 and This stuff is awesome. You can buy it online or find a body store that carries it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
secrets of surface rust removal revealed Randy Ferguson Body - Exterior 178 09-24-2011 09:36 AM
Best way to remove surface rust 49studebaker Body - Exterior 5 10-31-2006 07:30 PM
Rust Dissolver versus Rust Convertor? 66GMC Body - Exterior 9 11-06-2005 05:48 PM
surface rust removal michiganjoe Body - Exterior 3 06-07-2004 02:48 PM
Surface Rust Benji Body - Exterior 7 02-25-2003 06:36 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.