Surface rust on inside of door - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I added pics - Surface rust on inside of door

I am stripping my chevelle down and the drivers door has some rust on the back side of the door panel.

It also has factory sound deadener sprayed in but it is chipping off where the rust is. What is the easiest way to get the rest of it off? I was thinking of getting one of the small hand held sandblasters but don't wanna was my money...

Thanks...

Advertisement

Last edited by fatboy95; 05-13-2006 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added pictures for your viewing pleasure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Fat, You may not waste your money buying a sandblaster but you WILL waste your door if you attempt to sandblast the rust out of it! Sandblasting a door or any panel such as a hood, fender, etc is a no-no I ruined a Mustang door (also the deck-lid ) doing this and I was shocked at how easy it is to warp these parts and the extent to which they will be warped.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

What is the easist way to get the rust out of the inside then?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 AM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Personally I would get some dry ice and chip that sound deadener out of the door then POR15 it, then resprat with rubber undercoating if you want.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

The problem with POR 15 is that it will not get to all the rust such as between the overlapping edges where the skin is attached or places like behind the hinge reinforcements and door skin bracing, plus the rust will STILL be there! How bad is this rust? On one of my Mustangs I replaced the door skin (not as bad as it sounds) and in doing so I found hidden rust in the areas I mentioned that could not have been dealt with any other way, except maybe dipping which may be a way to do this. POR 15 can only treat rust that you can reach and it will do nothing to stop rust it can't touch so it is a "bandaid" approach at best since the rust you can reach is going to be the easiest to remove anyway. IMO it is a lot better to go the extra mile and just get rid of the rust and be done with it than to sink a bunch of money into your project only to have what you missed come back to haunt you.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Last journal entry: Blasting Cabinet
Last photo:

Don't give up on the idea of sandblasting. I know there are horror stories out there about ruining body parts, but I stripped my whole car and never, repeat, never had a warped part. Granted, I was careful and took my time and after blasting, I then "buffed" the whole car which again took time. But check oiut the pics in my photos.

I use Blackblast whichi is made by 3M and is available here in Wisconsin at Menards...I'm sure you can get something similar. I used a cyphon feed blaster I got from Sears...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

I may have to replace the door skin... just didn't want to do that... If I can I will post a picture of it later tonite or tommorrow and see what you all think..
Old 05-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Ok here are a few pictures...

Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

I replaced a skin that looked about that bad simply because I could not get to all the rust. A door is a particularly bad area since water gets inside the thing and so many areas are inaccessible like between the skin and hinge braces, rust is serious damage and it needs to be removed if at all possible. There are different kinds of media that can be used to blast metal but SANDblasting will warp that door beyond repair and if you do use a safe media can you get to all the rusted areas to blast them? How bad is the lower area where the skin overlaps the door shell? Is there some place you can take it to have it acid dipped? If this rust is all in the open areas and accessible then blasting with the right media may be the answer, can you have it done locally by a professional?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Funny thing is, the bottom is solid... its all starts from the top and goes down about 3/4 the way... I guess I will probably just replace it....
Old 05-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Surface rust on inside of door

If that is all the rust you have after ths long then media blasting will probably work. You may want to use some sort of naval jelly or rust conversion liquid after you have media blasted it to get into any areas the blasting couldn't. Make sure you epoxy prime it after wards and you should be good for another 40 years.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

That rust is not bad at all, looks like mostly surface rust. As mentioned do NOT SAND blast sheet metal. If you can get in there with a wire bruch or sand paper, that would be perfect. I would then coat it with Rust Bullet (I like it MUCH better than POR 15), that should pretty much take care of the problem. Of course use a heat gun and scrape off the rubber coating. There is also another product called Extend, that is a good rust treatment. comes in a spray can, it kills rust and can be painted over.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I would agree with old red,replace the door skin,it's not that big of a deal and you will know that you've gotten it all,when the door is apart you can blast out any other rust that you can get at.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.