Hot Rod Forum banner

Surface Rust/Rust Mort...teach me please.

20K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sumner41 
#1 ·
I have allot of surface rust popping up through the primer on my car.And a large patch on the roof were body work was started and never finished(not me).
A freind of mine suggested I use rust mort on the car. I am limited on body tools etc.... as I nolonger have a garage or access to a compressor(DA etc//) just an electric palm sander and a dream(...or....nightmare???).
So what would be the best method of going about fixing surface rust.Do I sand as far down as I can get then rust mort???Rust mort then sand???
Any advice would be appriciated.
My goal at this point is just to stop the rust progression and cover the car in flat black primer. I can fix dents etc.... afterwards as I go.

#2 ·
Search the forum for threads on Ospho. They are similar products. You will need to get the remaining paint off the car and really work the rustmort or Ospho into the rust If you really work it, it will disolve and remove the rust. CLEAN WELL with wax and grease remover and prime with a good Epoxy primer that will give it protection from moisture.

Good luck
John L

#3 ·
I see this all the time ,The REAL problem is the primer that was used .Lacquer primer (spraycan primer) will do this every time because it allows moisture to soak in down to the metal making it rust...All that primer has to come off and the car needs to be stripped down to the metal(.you can do this in sections)Take care of the rust then use epoxy primer over the metal.You really need a compressor first and a DA sander the good primers only come in a can and need mixing then sprayed on with a paint gun...np sense doing anything until you get the basic tools you need...compressor ,Da sander, paint gun..

#4 ·
surface rust

78 monte said:
I have allot of surface rust popping up through the primer on my car.And a large patch on the roof were body work was started and never finished(not me).
A freind of mine suggested I use rust mort on the car. I am limited on body tools etc.... as I nolonger have a garage or access to a compressor(DA etc//) just an electric palm sander and a dream(...or....nightmare???).
So what would be the best method of going about fixing surface rust.Do I sand as far down as I can get then rust mort???Rust mort then sand???
Any advice would be appriciated.
My goal at this point is just to stop the rust progression and cover the car in flat black primer. I can fix dents etc.... afterwards as I go.
your problem is incorrect prep. after removing rust,there is still microscopic rust,plus bare metal will start rusting as soon as it is in contact with air. You NEED to remove rust you can see. THEN USE A METAL CONDITIONER (metal prep. Follow the directions. It will leave a faint white haze on metal. Prime. REMEMBER PRIMER IS POURUS,which is how paint adheres to it. NEVER JUST PRIMER. SEAL PRIMER WITH AT LEAST ONE COAT OF PAINT. Improper prep ALWAYS CAUSES YOUR PROBLEM. The average person thinks that removing rust that can be seen solves the problem. If not done CORRECTLY,IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE. METAL PREP and SEAL PRIMER. PRIMER IS POURUS TO ABSORB PAINT AND UNCOATED WILL ABSORB MOISTURE, SEAL IT WITH A TOP COAT (PAINT) THAT WILL NOT ABSORB MOISTURE. I would add MOISTURE IS ALWAYS PRESENT IN THE AIR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.