Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Surprizing wear for over 300k miles
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
Never had an overhaul that I know of. If it did, it would have been done 253,000 miles ago, I got it with 97k on it, from the guy that bought it new, many years ago.
Bores are fine, with negligable wear, You can almost catch your fingernail on the ridge. I ran a hone through the bores, and ridge was gone, musta been just carbon.
I used to use gtx 20-50 since it was so thick it really does keep things lubed its slow to roll down the cylinder walls. Clearly good for bearings as well. I may need to switch back since i notice most new oil smells pre burnt these days. Works great in really hot running engines.

Things get changed and the customer never knows sometimes. Just got a bill larger than normal. I seen a turbo put on a brand new car and wasted the motor cause the rings and plated bore was not up to the job and it failed. Engine was rebuilt and the customer picked it up. We tried to explain but he just said you got it worked put right? So i am sure that guy had no clue what was done to his motor. Sometimes mechanic make mistakes and just fix them and think its ok not to say anything since they fixed it. You can usally identify oem parts over replacement check the back and see what the name is on them gm marks everythng twice at least. They are un read able usally but they are marked. After market bearing always have a size on the back next to the name.