Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Surprizing wear for over 300k miles
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
This is all factory stuff. So anything done, would have been done prior to 97k miles, at the dealer. I perform all my own maintenance. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, I started using Castrol, because it was reccomended by the only manufacturer (at that time) to give a standard 100k mile warrenty. So I figure that while the big 3 were offering 60k, and the other was offering 100k and reccomending Castrol, I'd run it too.
Thats pretty good. I take it you dont rev it and follow a normal start up proceedure every time and probably touch the gas before you turn back the key to shut it off? I know a few older mechanics that swear by the start up and let it turn for at least a few seconds before you slam it into gear. And they always said touching the gas before you shut it down makes it fire right off and make it fire quicker next time. Also keeps the carbon from sticking to the back of the valves. Its always the cold starts that take out the bearings.

I treat my cars like crap. Comes from living in the city nothing last might as well run it. I may change back to gtx 20-50 i got used to thinking it was worth the hp and fuel savings to run the lighter oils but i noticed if you overheat the engine or really beat on it with the thin oils it does not survive as well. You can never go wrong with delco either.

One things for sure it was not built on a friday!