Surprizing wear for over 300k miles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Surprizing wear for over 300k miles

When I removed the rod bearings I saw something that really gave me a shock. They looked like about 100k miles or less. I was expecting to see more copper. Same with the mains. There's one rod bearing missing, I think I may have chunked it, but it's the same as the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	possum 006 [800x600].jpg
Views:	118
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	69839   Click image for larger version

Name:	possum 004 [800x600].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	69840  

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,216
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 339 Times in 319 Posts
the big question is- what oil? I assume this was a completely stock engine too? what filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM
killerformula's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northeast
Age: 34
Posts: 3,485
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Was there an issue that caused you to tear it down or did you just think it was time for a fresh start?

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
When I removed the rod bearings I saw something that really gave me a shock. They looked like about 100k miles or less. I was expecting to see more copper. Same with the mains. There's one rod bearing missing, I think I may have chunked it, but it's the same as the others.
I would bet its been rebuilt in its life time. How are the bores do they measure stock? Been to the dealer for major engine trouble they may have replaced them without telling you all the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,328
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 130
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
the big question is- what oil? I assume this was a completely stock engine too? what filter?
doesn't matter, if it wasn't rebuilt in it's life time, it's because of
efi.. and it's cold starts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
the big question is- what oil? I assume this was a completely stock engine too? what filter?
Completely stock engine,
Castrol GTX 20-50 since I've owned it, (got it with about 97k on it) Switched to Castrol High mileage at about 180k.
AC Delco filter. Allways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I would bet its been rebuilt in its life time. How are the bores do they measure stock? Been to the dealer for major engine trouble they may have replaced them without telling you all the details.
Never had an overhaul that I know of. If it did, it would have been done 253,000 miles ago, I got it with 97k on it, from the guy that bought it new, many years ago.
Bores are fine, with negligable wear, You can almost catch your fingernail on the ridge. I ran a hone through the bores, and ridge was gone, musta been just carbon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula View Post
Was there an issue that caused you to tear it down or did you just think it was time for a fresh start?

K
Yes there was an issue. It developed a solid miss, and losing coolant.
So I figured a head gasket. And with that many miles there's no way I'd do the heads, and not the rest. If it wasn't such a nice car, I'd not even fool with it. Thought about getting a new engine from GM, but when I got the heads off, I decided to save the money for something else.

I'm totally amazed at this engine. and how it's held up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
doesn't matter, if it wasn't rebuilt in it's life time, it's because of
efi.. and it's cold starts..
If a Quadrajet Carburettor = efi, then mabe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
Never had an overhaul that I know of. If it did, it would have been done 253,000 miles ago, I got it with 97k on it, from the guy that bought it new, many years ago.
Bores are fine, with negligable wear, You can almost catch your fingernail on the ridge. I ran a hone through the bores, and ridge was gone, musta been just carbon.
I used to use gtx 20-50 since it was so thick it really does keep things lubed its slow to roll down the cylinder walls. Clearly good for bearings as well. I may need to switch back since i notice most new oil smells pre burnt these days. Works great in really hot running engines.

Things get changed and the customer never knows sometimes. Just got a bill larger than normal. I seen a turbo put on a brand new car and wasted the motor cause the rings and plated bore was not up to the job and it failed. Engine was rebuilt and the customer picked it up. We tried to explain but he just said you got it worked put right? So i am sure that guy had no clue what was done to his motor. Sometimes mechanic make mistakes and just fix them and think its ok not to say anything since they fixed it. You can usally identify oem parts over replacement check the back and see what the name is on them gm marks everythng twice at least. They are un read able usally but they are marked. After market bearing always have a size on the back next to the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,328
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 130
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
If a Quadrajet Carburettor = efi, then mabe so.
nope,, but most don't keep the q-jet in tune so . the choke washes the walls at start up..
the oil didn't get that much better..
and why efi engines can go 7-10k on oil and carbs go 3-3500..
cold starts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
nope,, but most don't keep the q-jet in tune so . the choke washes the walls at start up..
the oil didn't get that much better..
and why efi engines can go 7-10k on oil and carbs go 3-3500..
cold starts..
That only works when All the parts of the EFI system are working properly.
A bad temp sensor can wash down the cylinder walls, an' fill the oil pan with gas, faster that you can say scat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
nope,, but most don't keep the q-jet in tune so . the choke washes the walls at start up..
the oil didn't get that much better..
and why efi engines can go 7-10k on oil and carbs go 3-3500..
cold starts..
Newer cars dont need as many oil changes since most are synthetic oil. Now with normal oil they call for 3000 miles just as carb car did.

Running a car pig rich does have some effect on oil but normal tune vs efi not much different. Usally about care and abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: N Ga.
Posts: 356
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I used to use gtx 20-50 since it was so thick it really does keep things lubed its slow to roll down the cylinder walls. Clearly good for bearings as well. I may need to switch back since i notice most new oil smells pre burnt these days. Works great in really hot running engines.

Things get changed and the customer never knows sometimes. Just got a bill larger than normal. I seen a turbo put on a brand new car and wasted the motor cause the rings and plated bore was not up to the job and it failed. Engine was rebuilt and the customer picked it up. We tried to explain but he just said you got it worked put right? So i am sure that guy had no clue what was done to his motor. Sometimes mechanic make mistakes and just fix them and think its ok not to say anything since they fixed it. You can usally identify oem parts over replacement check the back and see what the name is on them gm marks everythng twice at least. They are un read able usally but they are marked. After market bearing always have a size on the back next to the name.
This is all factory stuff. So anything done, would have been done prior to 97k miles, at the dealer. I perform all my own maintenance. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, I started using Castrol, because it was reccomended by the only manufacturer (at that time) to give a standard 100k mile warrenty. So I figure that while the big 3 were offering 60k, and the other was offering 100k and reccomending Castrol, I'd run it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
This is all factory stuff. So anything done, would have been done prior to 97k miles, at the dealer. I perform all my own maintenance. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, I started using Castrol, because it was reccomended by the only manufacturer (at that time) to give a standard 100k mile warrenty. So I figure that while the big 3 were offering 60k, and the other was offering 100k and reccomending Castrol, I'd run it too.
Thats pretty good. I take it you dont rev it and follow a normal start up proceedure every time and probably touch the gas before you turn back the key to shut it off? I know a few older mechanics that swear by the start up and let it turn for at least a few seconds before you slam it into gear. And they always said touching the gas before you shut it down makes it fire right off and make it fire quicker next time. Also keeps the carbon from sticking to the back of the valves. Its always the cold starts that take out the bearings.

I treat my cars like crap. Comes from living in the city nothing last might as well run it. I may change back to gtx 20-50 i got used to thinking it was worth the hp and fuel savings to run the lighter oils but i noticed if you overheat the engine or really beat on it with the thin oils it does not survive as well. You can never go wrong with delco either.

One things for sure it was not built on a friday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire wear??? gofastz Suspension - Brakes - Steering 10 01-19-2011 05:51 PM
How many miles of city driving to break in, before freeway miles TNshadetree Engine 6 09-24-2010 05:37 PM
how many miles is to many woodmanscott@hotmail Off-Topic 5 07-11-2008 12:39 PM
How many miles? WakBordr7387 Transmission - Rearend 2 07-11-2005 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.