Survivar (SAS) & HobbyAir Compatibility - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Survivar (SAS) & HobbyAir Compatibility

Hello All-

I'm getting ready to purchase a supplied air system for painting. I really like the Survivair full face mask with the hose off the side of the mask that can drape over your shoulder. A compressor for that mask from Survivair is almost twice what a Hobby Air system is. I was wondering if those with either system could comment on the connectors. I know the Survivair system comes with standard OBAC connectors but I can't tell what's on the HobbyAir system. What I'd like to do is purchase a HobbyAir 2 compressor and hose and use that with a Survivair full face mask. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks-Stretch

PaintAnything.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't do a lot of mixing the parts around from two different systems.

Heres some stuff you can read, might help a little.

http://www.1969supersport.com/respirators.html

There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 03-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Actually it is a matter of having the proper couplings that match up..I would expect to have to change either the air line coupling or the mask coupling so they hook up.

I have done this on my system as I have some Mine Safety Equipment masks and needed to get a pump..Just had to change a coupling on the MSA mask to hook it up..Really no different from changing the coupling on an air tool so it hooks up with the couplings you have..

Sam
Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM

I know what you're saying Sam, but it depends on who is doing what.

I worked with respirators for 20 years, supplied air, scba, negative pressure type. You need to be cautious working with it, it can be dangerous, adding couplings might be okay, but, I have seen different problems with supplied air, and that was with systems that hadn't been altered.

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but myself, I wouldn't encourage any of this altering, you never know who is going to do it, and how they will do it.

Most of time, a hobbist is alone in his garage, and if theres a problem, somebody isn't going to say, hey, somethings wrong, and go pick a guy up off the floor.

Not trying to scare anybody here, but, use caution.

Were not using these in an oxygen deficient atmosphere, but, some of these paint fumes, are the next thing to it.

I inspect my system before I use it, and I have a lot of respect for it, also I take really good care of it, my health could be effected if it malfunctions.

Rob

There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com

Rob
Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

I agree 100% with Rob, Breathing apparatus should be left to the designers. I know most of these things are simple enough and a lot of people will just brush this off as being too cautious but remember a persons life depends on these things and if you overlook something the results can be disastrous.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.