suspension mount tolerances - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 11:25 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

suspension mount tolerances

i was curious, how much horsepower will the stock suspension mounts on a 66 Nova 4 door hold? and what would i need to do to them to allow me to put 450 hp to the rear wheels without risking that i would blow the rear axle right off the car?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I don't think you would ever "blow the rear axle right off the car"... In order to do that the rear suspension would have to hook real hard and that will never happen with a stock non posi diff and street tires.
Go through your stock suspension and rebuild it with poly/graphite bushings and you'll be good to go.
Now, if you want that little ten bolt to live AND put down the power, you'll have to do some major reworking to put a bigger tire under the car and upgrade the diff to a posi and better gears.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

do you think i could keep the original rear and have it hold 450 horses for a while? and what kind reworking would it need? if i do have to go for a different rear, what could i take it from that would fit my car's width?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:49 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrod66_57
do you think i could keep the original rear and have it hold 450 horses for a while? and what kind reworking would it need? if i do have to go for a different rear, what could i take it from that would fit my car's width?
The longevity of the rear end will depend on how you plan to drive the car... What trans are you using? The rear will probably live for a long time if you are running an auto with skinny tires. A 4 spd can shorten it's life "IF" you can get it to hook up. If this is an open (non-posi) differential and you aren't planning to run super sticky tires I doubt you will have a problem. Your biggest hurdle is going to be to get the car to hook up with the stock leaf spring suspension and stock open rear. The deuces little wheel wells will limit the size tire you can use anyway so, unless you are planning a major tearup to fit bigger tires, I can't see to much traction being a problem. This, in itself, will limit the amount of "shock" the rear end will see because all you will do is smoke up the small tires with your 450 horses...
Old 07-31-2004, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

the trany will be a manual unless there are not available within my means. as for tires, i'm going to try to either buy or have fabricated a set of shackles for the rear that will lift it up several inches, this way the top of the tires will be below the bottom of the fender allowing me to run 10 inch wide tires, at the strip where bumps aren't an issue. the only thing i have to watch is how much the back will drop off the line and make sure the tires still clear. the back suspension will not be bone stock as i plan on adding trac. bars. if after this it still sounds like the stock rear will do can anyone tell me where to get a good posi trac system for a fair price? if not will i still be able to get 12's without the posi trac?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.