Suspension for small tired drag car that isn't dangerous in curves. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Suspension for small tired drag car that isn't dangerous in curves.

I am about to pick up a new project car. Its a 1966 Volvo 122 that I want to turn into a street/drag car. I'm doing alot of reading and trying to decide how I want to build/modify the rear suspension for this car. I intend this to be a fairly big chassis project. I have a 600hp Volvo 4 cylinder turbo motor and TH400 setup that will power this car when the chassis is ready.

So the basic idea I have in my head right now is a small tired drag car. I'd like to run a 28 x 12.5 x 15 ET Street or similar sized slick and have the car sit nice and low and plant the tires reasonably well in a straight line. In addition, I'd like to run the car on the drag radials or similar height street radial on the road for weekend cruises.

I'll need at least a small tub job to make this work Im quite sure. And the car will need an 8 pt roll bar at least for the speeds its going to run. Probably in the 9s or 10s. If I buy a 4 link kit and install that in the rear. Is there a way to get some articulation in the rear suspension so that it corners safely without binding? I don't expect to have a road race car, but I would like the car to be able to cruise the mountain hiways in Colorado on the radials and not feel completely awkward and dangerous. Im reading about the various suspension types and its a bit overwhelming processing all of the information out there on the internet...

Maybe you guys could help me weigh my choices here.
My first guess at these rear suspension types would be:
1. a true drag style 4-link somehow tuned for street driving..
2. a simpler 4 bar / 4 - link with a lower profile rear frame since I won't need to fit 33" tires.
3. A 3 link setup with a sway bar??? I'm not sure how those do for drag launches at all.

Here is the car as it sits now. I still have alot of work to do:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM

drag volvo.

what's stock? coils or? room for traction bars ? Ladder type?Built pretty tough from the factory.How'bout a neoprene bushing kit with gussets welded where needed. 4 bar kit with adjustable coilovers?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

My vote is a torque arm like this...

Torque Arm install info

It's a lot like 2 closely spaced ladder bars, very little resistance to articulation, plants the tires like a mo fo (my personal street car with a torque arm)...

Probably be easy to adapt a similar style TA to your ride.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM

O.k.

You-bet...Grab a rule book Get with the 10.5 class.Those guys are kick'en ***.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

This guy is developing some pretty sweet upgrades for the mighty Amazon (Volvo 122's)

Check out this thread:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=237655

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.