Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   suspension swap or frame swap? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-swap-frame-swap-228760.html)

mouse57 01-23-2013 09:01 PM

suspension swap or frame swap?
 
hello i have a 42 chevy 2 door coupe. dont know if i should do frame swap
or could i get suspension parts for the front end like to get rid of the king pens. not sure where to start

techinspector1 01-23-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse57 (Post 1638157)
hello i have a 42 chevy 2 door coupe. dont know if i should do frame swap
or could i get suspension parts for the front end like to get rid of the king pens. not sure where to start

Usually, the first couple of frame swaps or clip swaps that a guy tries to do, end up behind the shed, left to rust in peace. I had to do half a dozen of 'em before I produced anything that worked better than stock.

I would advise you to find a weld-in or bolt-in independent front suspension system and keep the stock frame intact.

NEW INTERIORS 01-23-2013 09:26 PM

No frame swap..:nono::nono:

Get the right Mustang II front end for it...You won't be sorry in the long run..;)

mouse57 01-23-2013 09:36 PM

thanks guys

timothale 01-24-2013 10:48 AM

chevy frame
 
Those old chevies had a "hat frame", formed sheet metal inverted U fastened to a bottom flat. It takes some carefull inspection to verify the condition, possibility of rusted thin spots, If the frame is in good shape you can buy the Bolt In kits for Mustang II front and various bolt in rear ends. Usually new rear springs or a pin relocator plate.

coolhhr 01-24-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse57 (Post 1638157)
hello i have a 42 chevy 2 door coupe. dont know if i should do frame swap
or could i get suspension parts for the front end like to get rid of the king pens. not sure where to start

You could put a camero susp under it. It all ubolts from the camero frame. Then mount it on your. You nee a spacer between the sus. & your frame. I mount a couple of these & work fine.

coolhhr 01-24-2013 05:59 PM

camero sus
 
You can mount a camero sub frame under it. It all unbolt from the car. You need a spacer between the frame & the susp. You need the steering box to. I installed two of these They work out very nice. No hacking of your stock frame

NEW INTERIORS 01-24-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolhhr (Post 1638425)
You can mount a camero sub frame under it. It all unbolt from the car. You need a spacer between the frame & the susp. You need the steering box to. I installed two of these They work out very nice. No hacking of your stock frame

I have done many clip's on different Hot rods... I would love to see just how you did this... Post some pictures...:D

I weld all mine in,, No bolt's and no spacer's..;)

455olds 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

I have a '42 Chevy Aerosedan and I used a '74 Nova clip. It drives awesome but was not real cheap to do correctly. I would do a Chassis Engineering bolt in M2 crossmember if I did it again just to not cut the front frame. The rear of the Nova was the right width for me. I used a 455 Olds in miy car and there is still room to service the engine so your engine options should be good to

mouse57 01-26-2013 03:13 PM

thank you guys

coolhhr 01-26-2013 07:17 PM

camero sus
 
well tryed to upload some picture today but couldn.t get it done. So i try again in a few dAYS

Elevinpointsixtoone 01-30-2013 02:12 PM

Here ya go, bolt in and made in the USA: SALE! TCI 37-48 Chevy Car Mustang II IFS Front Clip

Mercman40 07-24-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 455olds (Post 1638634)
I have a '42 Chevy Aerosedan and I used a '74 Nova clip. It drives awesome but was not real cheap to do correctly. I would do a Chassis Engineering bolt in M2 crossmember if I did it again just to not cut the front frame. The rear of the Nova was the right width for me. I used a 455 Olds in miy car and there is still room to service the engine so your engine options should be good to

Nice...I am working on a 41 Merc, and also considering a frame swap...how did yours turn out?

MARTINSR 07-24-2013 05:08 PM

Use one of MANY Mustang II style front ends available so you don't have to cut the rad support and inner fenders all up. They are much better and don't cost all that much once you think about rebuilding the clip you would put use instead.

Brian

Mercman40 07-24-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1697625)
Use one of MANY Mustang II style front ends available so you don't have to cut the rad support and inner fenders all up. They are much better and don't cost all that much once you think about rebuilding the clip you would put use instead.

Brian

Brian,
Thanks for that info...I've been looking at them MII set ups...cost comparison vs frame swap,
(although, I know you are not for F-swaps...read quite a few of your comments...hahaha!) the cost is possibly higher that what the shop is offering for the swap?

I'm really on the fence with this decision?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.