Suspension Techniques - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Suspension Techniques

I have a 01 chevy truck, the engine is a SBC 283CID EFI with aluminum Vortec heads waiting to REV. However that type of power is only good for a straight line and not in turns. ME and my buddys ( 99' 4.3L & 03 5.3L) slide side ways when the road is wet. The 18's and 20's are not working, we need 22's for extra weight.
My issues I would like solved are:

1. How can I have a reduced center of gravity, less body roll , pull the G skid pad and still be able to clear turning corner dips and "tall" speed bumps with out scraping frame?
2. Would the rear gear need to be changed to accommodate to the 22's weight?

I have asked local shops but they cant tell me a sure way. Some say bag it , others drop it, some raise it then drop it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Heres a novel thought....If you want a slalom racer, don't start with a truck. Get a sports car.

What makes you think that 22" wheels weigh more than others?

To lower the centre of gravity, lower the vehicle.

22" wheels will probably have lower profile tires on them. Its the diameter of the outside of the tires that will change gear ratio, not the diameter of the wheels.

BTW, who put the 283 in the 2001 truck?

Budget RVs
Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

Heavier wheels will hinder cornering performace, get the lightest wheels possible. and stickier tires
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Lowering will help. You need about 8" ground clearance at the lowest part of the frame to clear speed bumps. That might be the oil pan sump or front crossmember, not necessarily frame rails. The crossmember can actually go down to six inches since it's centered between the wheel. Beyond that you can get stiffer springs, but ride will be affected.

Bagging MIGHT be an option, but has to be done right to improve handling. You'll need separate valves for each wheel to prevent air transfer from side to side. Another problem is that as you let air out it doesn't just lower the vehicle, it softens the spring rate. You want stiff "springs" for great handling, and the softer ones won't help -- though the lower CG will. Probably a trade-off. Plus there will be added weight of an air tank, compressor, and an extra battery. You can drop the extra battery and just use a single bigger one w/HD alternator if you're not very concerned about the time it takes to raise the vehicle. If a full minute to go from "on the ground" to the extent of travel is good (usually 20-30 seconds from ground to normal ride height) one HD battery should suffice. If you want it to come up to ride height in 5 or so seconds, plan on a second battery and wiring. Bags can get expensive quick! They are more for ride and an adjustable ride height than for handling.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:11 AM

the sbc 283 (you know the one that takes its rpms to 7k with out redlining?) is the 4.8L or the smallest v8 offered in the truck line. It can exchange parts with LS(x) engines. N E way... Some one asked why a truck instead of a car? Because when a smaller car wrecks into a truck its not a pretty sight for the car.
Ever seen the aero of NASCAR trucks? Those wings on the back realy make it easy to swing out of course. (but then again they are goin 160mph at times).
Thats why I need to lower and body kit the truck for aero.
But then again its a truck so it should be able to do truckly things like be able to see into other cars in traffic and bulldoze over pot holes and jump over hurdles.
And with all that as consideration that is why I was asking about the suspension.
thanx for the input any way. Provving people wrong is the best feeling in the world.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

hahahahaha I'm really dumb then
Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotbutter!
...slide side ways when the road is wet.
Are you talking about the back end sliding out when wet? If so learning throttle control and getting a torque biasing diff would be a good way to get rid of it.

Quote:
The 18's and 20's are not working, we need 22's for extra weight.
How is extra unsprung/rotating mass going to help anything other than your throttle control issues? More rotating mass = less acceleration.

Quote:
How can I have a reduced center of gravity
Lower the truck and move heavy stuff lower (i.e. the battery under the bed)
Quote:
less body roll
Either raise the roll center, lower the truck, install stiffer springs, or install stiffer anti-roll bars (ARB).
Quote:
pull the G skid pad and still be able to clear turning corner dips and "tall" speed bumps with out scraping frame?
Either don't lower it too much or bag it. Have fun finding what the "spring rate" is on an air bag.
Quote:
Would the rear gear need to be changed to accommodate to the 22's weight?
again why would you want heavier wheels?

Quote:
I have asked local shops but they cant tell me a sure way. Some say bag it , others drop it, some raise it then drop it.
Just bagging it will most likely make it too soft. Lower the front with spindles and maybe some springs but don't go too far. For the rear see if doing a spring under axle conversion will put it too low. If it won't do it that way.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.