Suspension tips for 2nd gen f-body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Mechanical Animal

Last journal entry: Finally complete and running.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Suspension tips for 2nd gen f-body

Hi everybody, this is my first post,
prolly gonna upset some folks, but I am currently building a SB chevy powered '79 Trans Am. As the engine is going to be pretty stout (for a street car) I am wondering if anyone has any tips for chassis and suspension mods I can do to help it handle better. I am already looking into subframe connectors and high durometer bushings for the suspension, but was hopeful that some of you may have experience with these cars that might help. I have some experience but my knowledge is about 15-20 years out of date.

Also, as soon as the SB is finished, I am going to start building a BB to go in it next year (still gonna be a chebby motor though)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Im more of a 1st gen F-body person, but I would say some weld-in SFCs would be at the top of my list, as you stated. Maybe solid subframe bushings, tubular control arms that improve suspension/steering geometry, and a pair of quality leaf springs would help also
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

One of Herb Adams' tricks for increasing anti-squat was to raise the mounting point of the front eyes of the leaf springs about 3/4". He used to sell modified spring brackets with the holes raised above the stock location, and I believe the tops also may have been cut out to clear the tops of the spring eyes.

This tended to lower the rear of the car a bit, so he sold heavy-duty rear shackles that were about 2" longer than stock, which also helped counter the typical leaf-spring sag common to those cars.

The increased anti-squat aided not only starting-line traction, but it also increased traction when accelerating out of a turn. Sadly, the parts are not on the market any more, but they shouldn't be hard to fabricate yourself.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDawg134
Hi everybody, this is my first post,
prolly gonna upset some folks, but I am currently building a SB chevy powered '79 Trans Am. As the engine is going to be pretty stout (for a street car) I am wondering if anyone has any tips for chassis and suspension mods I can do to help it handle better. I am already looking into subframe connectors and high durometer bushings for the suspension, but was hopeful that some of you may have experience with these cars that might help. I have some experience but my knowledge is about 15-20 years out of date.

Also, as soon as the SB is finished, I am going to start building a BB to go in it next year (still gonna be a chebby motor though)
Sweet, I have a chebby powered poncho. 81 fourspeed SE to be exact. (Talk about pissin people off put a chebby in a SE LOL.) But dollar for dollar you can build more power with a sbc. I currently have a 600hp 406 backed by a T56 (450hp with 150 shot) I have a set of subframe connectors (that I built my self) with CE Slide a link traction bars on other wise stock worn out suspension. It hooks fair and would hook better with better tires. I like the old school look so I have stock snowflakes with 295/50R15 hancook tires. It makes a great daily driver and hooks fair when I want. Plans this winter are to upgrade all the bushings. The big block is great for power but it kinda throws the handling away a little because of the weight it makes the car want do a nose dive in the corners. P.S. I still have A/C.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.