Suzuki Forenza Ignition Lock Stuck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Suzuki Forenza Ignition Lock Stuck

On a 2007 Suzuki Forenza, I noted the occasional problem of the ignition lock cylinder barrel not moving out of the lock position. This was generally dismissed by twisting the steering wheel sideways to release pressure on stuck parts. Thing finally went from occasional to total lock-up.

Finally after releasing the tilt lever, loading the lock cylinder with WD40 and PIB , penetrating blaster fluid, pushing the key in and out to work the tumblers, etc, etc, and beating on the steering column plus banging the wheel up and down with the tilt lever released, I have decided that the beast is really stuck for good.

I do not have the procedure for removal of the lock barrel but it appears that may be necessary.

Any clues to something less than total surgery and a new lock barrel would be of interest. I have seen that others have had Suzuki Forenza ignition key troubles.

awbazar

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

if its the same as a chev epica or suzuki verona you have to drop the steering colume and have the key in the run position and there should be a tab you have to push down on ( on the steering colume ) on the key tumbler housing, then pull the key housing out. then reinstall the same way,. the only problem that I had after I installed it , I did a PASS key relearn and it did'nt work did some reading , found out you had to use the dealer scan tool , for the relearn procedure, plus it had to be done with the second key. an additional $180 for the second key
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Suzuki Forenza Ignition Lock Stuck

Hello dklong,
Thank you for your comments. I got lucky on this one after spraying considerable WD40 and penetrating oil into the key hole and heating the assembly with a hot air gun for 10 minutes followed by 100 psi compressed air into the key hole to force the hot lube into every nook and cranny. I was ready to take a sledge hammer to it next!

This Forenza did not have an electronic key chip and was strictly a mechanical cylinder tumbler lock.

The obstacle with changing the lock cylinder was the fact that the steering wheel was locked and the access screws to the plastic covering over the steering column requires the ignition switch to be out of the lock position to turn the wheel out of the way to remove them without smashing or cutting off the outside covers. On top of that the key had to be in accessory position followed by pressing the detent on the cylinder to release in the lock barrel. I didn't have to do any of that...fortunately. The switch moves freely now. I did get that procedure from an Autozone online chat discussion. The fellow even emailed me the procedure. Autozone now has an email chat feature which provides installation and service advice. Not a bad concept!

I suspect it might be possible to release the steering column lock by actuating the unlatch feature which locks up the steering if one knew the right procedure to do that. I didn't have to go that far. Thank you.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.