Hot Rod Forum banner

swap

966 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cheezbay 
#1 ·
I have a 350 engine, 3 speed automatic transmission w/ OD, and a rearend from a 1977 chevy caprice classic station wagon. I want to drop this into my 1961 chevy apache truck. Other than a new drive shaft, what other problems may occur in this switch. It currenly has a 235 and 3 speed on the column. I know I will need a floor shifter and new wiring harness. Should everything fit? What other rearend would be better? Any info. and/or advice is appreciated.

#4 ·
the only problem i could think of you having is the crossmember, you might also have a problem with some simple things like the transmission colling lines needing to be resituated. Check and make sure that you can get motor mounts for that thing before you consider switching. Also check and make sure that the oil pan on that small block doesnt hit your stearing assembly underneath, becuase if it does you might up needing a new oil pickup and pan. Other then that you should be good to go make sure you can get your spark plugs off lol :thumbup:

#5 ·
The 350 should fit easily. I had one in my '63 just recently. Some of the 60's model trucks came with a factory 283 V8 which has the same mounts as the 350. Your 6cyl should have front and rear mounts which you will need to trade out for side mounts. I haven't seen the engine compartment of the 6cyl trucks, so I don't know if the V8 motor mounts will bolt in or not.

Move the engine as far forward as possible to eliminate reworking your firewall, especially if you plan to use an HEI distributer. As for the crossmember for the tranny, I rebuilt theparking brake crossmember to hold the tranny. If you add a small extension onto it and bolt it back onto the bottom of the frame, it will work easily. Tranny cooling lines won't be a problem either. You can either run a seperate tranny cooler or use a radiator with one in it. Use brake line and bend it to fit.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.