swap with 1965 diesel engine into 1953 chevrolet pick up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

swap with 1965 diesel engine into 1953 chevrolet pick up

hi ,
Now i have this new plan about a donor diesel engine.
My dad owned a farm, and in 1965 he bought a new combined harverster, with a 6 cylinder perkins diesel on it.Most of them were ford diesels,but one of ten had this perkins diesel mounted.We used it maybe 20 years,at the end he liked every day one liter of oil , harvesting under heavy conditions.Once the whole engine was almost on fire, because of sweating oil, heat and dust, but we could save her with some sand
Under these heavy conditions the engine was singing as a bird, and when the combine was swallowing to much straw, she gave smoke signals.
The whole machine is still in the barn, and now i think swapping the diesel engine into the pick up, as a tribute to all the sweat memories on the farm.
Problem is, how the mount the perkins to the gearbox.I really like the idea.Maybe some one has a suggestion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perkins.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	70749  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I will take for granted that the transmission in the truck is still a manual with a removable bell housing? If so, worst case scenario, you could build a bell housing from steel that would mate the two pieces together. All that would leave is matching the splines and size of the input shaft to the flywheel, which should not be too hard if there is a good machine shop in the area. I will see if I can find the article, but several years ago a man in GA put a perkins deisel in a mid-late Chev pickup and tested it at Atlanta speedway. It got something like 70 MPG......but I have not heard anyhting else about it since....Plus you may consider a "google" search on the subject. There just may be someone making an adapter or swap kit.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
bob1970 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Idk how similar it is but most swaps I've done with Isuzu and Cummins they have an sae boot pattern.so after I find out which one I just buy a $400-700 adapter for the transmission I want to use
The Following User Says Thank You to monster76 For This Useful Post:
bob1970 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM

what monster just posted. The industrial bell housing has a lot of interchangeable parts. My neighbour had a GMC pick up with a forklift diesel and a 6 speed.It was fairly cheap on fuel but for accelleration,you timed it with a calendar. Most farm machinery are under 100 horse power,with a lot more closer to 40 horse power.If you plan to just have a fun project,go for it.If you plan to drive it on the road as a daily truck,better do the math to see if its worth bothering with?
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
bob1970 (01-20-2013)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.