Swap a 350 engine with a TBI into car with no computor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swap a 350 engine with a TBI into car with no computor

I have a 350 with TBI and want to install in 1964 chevelle.My plan is to discard the auto trans and use a 4 speed.I can not find interconnect diagram for the engine management.SUGGESTIONS?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t frd
I have a 350 with TBI and want to install in 1964 chevelle.My plan is to discard the auto trans and use a 4 speed.I can not find interconnect diagram for the engine management.SUGGESTIONS?
What interconnect for engine management? First the TBI engines use swirl port heads, not known for their top end performance, but nice low RPM haulers. You need a 4 barrel intake that will fit them. You'll want an Edlebrock 2104 or equivalent see them at: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._sb_perf.shtml

This is because heads since 1987 have, at the very least, had the angel of the center 4 bolts changed from 90 to 72 degrees to the interface plane. Older manifolds can be mounted by egging the center bolt holes so they'll meet the new angle. Then a means of providing a flat, parallel place for the bolt head to mate with has to be addressed, there are commercial spherical washers to be had that are adjusted to the needed angles, or the manifold can be spot faced in the needed area, this can be accomplished with a grinder, or you can make an angle washer from a piece of pipe.

The TBI uses a computer controlled ignition, this needs to be replaced with a conventional HEI. The block has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump without a bunch of finish machining. The simple solution is an electric pump. The serpentine drive on the front gets in the way of some installations, all that can be backdated to V-belts but the water and fan have to be changed to earlier models using V-belts as the OEM serpentine stuff rotates in opposite directions.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.