Swap from Electronic QJet to Non-Electronic QJet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swap from Electronic QJet to Non-Electronic QJet

I have an 86 C10 with a 305 and the electronically controlled Qjet has to go as it is just awful. I was wondering what problems I can expect from swapping over to a non-electronically controlled Qjet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86C10Clyde
I have an 86 C10 with a 305 and the electronically controlled Qjet has to go as it is just awful. I was wondering what problems I can expect from swapping over to a non-electronically controlled Qjet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you SURE it's a CCC Qjet? I ask because there were some funny carbs used on the 1986 trucks. The CCC system was only used on trucks with California emissions. If your distributor has a vacuum advance can, you do NOT have a CCC Qjet.

What you may have is a Qjet with a dual volume accelerator pump. These carbs use the same two wire connector on the top of the fuel bowl, but do not have the three wire throttle position sensor on the front driver's side corner of the carb. If this is what you have, swap away.

If you really do have a CCC carb with the computer controlled primary metering valves and no vac advance can on the distributor, you must also change the distributor to an earlier HEI that does have vac advance. The computerized distributor requires the throttle position sensor on the CCC carb to control the advance curve.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM

thanks Joe...I'll have to take a look again to make sure what it is I have.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

FWIW, my '86 Sierra has a Q-Jet w/no electrical (mixture solenoid or TPS) provisions and a "standard" HEI distributor w/49-state emissions.

You might consider rebuilding your Q-Jet, regardless of which one it is.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM

How extensive of a process is the Qjet rebuild? I have torn down a holley 3310 and it was no problem to get it all back together. But the Qjet appears to be infinately more complicated. Is there any comprehensive books out there that can walk me through it?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Quadrajet
Wiki Edits: 7

The q-jet rebuild process is not extremely dificult. But you will want to know what you're doing for sure! The first time that I tore one apart I had a couple of springs that flew and my only thought was, "*****! where did that come from?"

I would suggest getting the How to Build and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors book by Cliff Ruggles. The thing is golden, all the information you'll need with probably 200 or more high quality color photos.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
How extensive of a process is the Qjet rebuild? I have torn down a holley 3310 and it was no problem to get it all back together. But the Qjet appears to be infinately more complicated. Is there any comprehensive books out there that can walk me through it?
The Ruggles book has been referenced many times- it must be good!

There are a couple "tricks" to rebuilding the Q-Jet, like driving the accelerator pump arm pin in towards the air horn just enough to release the arm (you can be careful, or back it w/a thin shim), w/o running the end of the pin against the horn, making reinstillation a bit harder than need be, or to use the spring to "jump" the power piston out of its bore instead of trying to pry it out w/something- that sort of thing.

Also, getting the choke inner bottom linkage in place to reinstall the choke (if so equipped- yours should be) can be a challenge.

If you decide to tackle it (and if you did a 3310, I'd say you can also do the Q-Jet. Even though they share basically no similarities, it shows you have the aptitude, IMO) you can count on help from this forum.

FWIW, the only thing (besides your time) that you stand to lose, is the $15- $20 the rebuild kit costs. And when you're successful, you will have the satisfaction of a job well done PLUS you saved a bundle!!

Go for it... you know you want to...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info...any suggestions on where to get the best rebuild kits?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't know which would be considered "best", I just take what they slide across the counter to me, there seems to be little if any differences between brands, AFAIK.

That said, someone might be able to shed some light on their experience AFA the instruction sheets go. I use the parts, not the instructions (this isn't meant to be boastful).

FWIW, the last Q-Jet kit I bought was a WALKER PRODUCTS from O’Reilly. Was fine.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Rebuild kits can vary in contents and price. ***********Most customers that buy Quadrajet rebuild kits ******also purchase a float, secondary cam, secondary air valve spring and different jets and rods, if they are changing the Air/Fuel requirements.

For QuadraJet Parts visit: ********************

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 06-03-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.