Swap questions between carb'd and TBI engines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swap questions between carb'd and TBI engines

Howdy all. I have a 93 GMC 2WD pickup that I pulled the engine a while ago to rebuild. Well, I'm now putting together a TBI 383 for it, but haven't finished getting all the parts I need for it let alone find the time to build it. I've been looking for another TBI engine to put in in its place for the time being when a friend of mine gave me a decent running 350. The only issue is, it's a mid 70-early 80s carb'd 350 with a 2 piece main seal, non-roller cam, perimeter bot valve covers, etc. I know this engine would physically fit in my truck, but would it work if I swapped on the TBI intake and related parts? Since the truck was originally a 350 TBI, I'm thinking the computer would be okay with another 350, but are there sensors and things that wouldn't work right? Is this just not a swap that should happen or should it be okay? I was going to be running headers on the 383, so I could use those on the 350 then just transfer them over to the 383 when it's done. Oh, the trans is a rebuilt and beefed up 4L60e in case it matters.

Sooooooo, would this work for a temporary engine or is there too many differences between the old and new(er) engines?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Haapy1948

The swap.

Your late model injection manifold was designed for the vortec heads. They are different than the earlier carb heads. If you want to spend a lot of money in converting parts you could make it happen but the quick answer, budget wise, is no. Don't go there.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Actually, my truck is a 93, so it's Pre-vortec. Vortec heads weren't put on trucks until 96. I plan on running a Performer TBI intake as well.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Haapy1948

Vortec heads.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you indicated that your valve covers were center bolt as opposed to perimeter. If you have valve covers with perimeter bolts, the swap should work.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Swirl port tbi heads are also center bolt. As long as the ports and bolt holes on your tbi
intake match up to the heads on your swap motor, you should be fine. If not, what about swapping heads as well? Swapping the heads onto the new motor won't take much longer than just the intake and then you know you won't have any compatibility issues
Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 PM

You're correct. I have center bolt valve covers, but the old style heads/intake bolt pattern. My truck had the swirl port heads and I bought the TBI Performer intake for the earlier bolt pattern heads, not the Vortec bolt pattern. I was building the 383 for torque, so I wasn't going to use the Vortecs.

So, my TBI intake and parts would bolt right onto the earlier engine and it should work okay with the original computer since it was for a 350, correct?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacarfan2
You're correct. I have center bolt valve covers, but the old style heads/intake bolt pattern. My truck had the swirl port heads and I bought the TBI Performer intake for the earlier bolt pattern heads, not the Vortec bolt pattern. I was building the 383 for torque, so I wasn't going to use the Vortecs.

So, my TBI intake and parts would bolt right onto the earlier engine and it should work okay with the original computer since it was for a 350, correct?

Thanks guys!
I would go here www.fullsize.com But I think you need to make sure the heads cam distributor will work. Also the flex plate! Should be simple to check before you make the swap!!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 AM
GearHead-EFI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacarfan2

Thanks guys!
You could buy a TBI to carb intake adapter... drop in distributor... knock sensor in a hole on block into a water jacket... Coolant temp sensor near thermastat... That pretty much covers it!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM

CraigsClassics

You will also need to install a bung in the header collector for an 0-2 sensor...recommend on passengers side...easy to do....the computer will need to read that for the TBI for run correctly.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.