Swap TBI for Carburator - 1989 454 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Swap TBI for Carburator - 1989 454

Funny how I hadn't been on this forum for several years and here I am right back at it.

I have a 1989 Chevy 1-Ton (C3500) with a 454 that is equipped with TBI.
It fires right up and runs pretty well. If I tap the throttle, the truck lunges forward but if I try to give it a bunch of gas at once, it wants to fall on its' face.

Eventually I'd like to do some upgrades to it, but i was first considering getting rid of the TBI and putting a carburator on it. I noticed the distributor isn't vacuum advance (it has an external coil), so I was wondering if the fuel and ignition systems might be tied together by some computer-crap somewhere...again, funny how I fix computers for a living and I hate them in cars...

First, is this replacement reasonable? If yes, what should I look at for a carburator? Ultimately I'd like to go through the motor and do some mild enhancements and it'd be cool to NOT have to buy a new carb when I do this. In terms of performance, factory HP rating is 230 on this motor...I have no real concept of how much that is, but I know the cars that I always thought were cool (old camaros, chevelles etc) were somewhere around 400 factory...and from what I understand, it doesn't take too much to get power out of a 454...recommendations?

thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

the tbi runs nice for a daily driver but is very lacking in performance.. you'll have to ask yourself what you want out of this truck. your current problem, either your fuel pump or pressure regulator is shot. try to find a place to pinch off the return line with a pair of vise grips. if it runs fine then it's your regulator.

a big truck like that will never be a huge performer. i like the tbi for the driveability.

however, if you want to go carb it's not that hard. earlier 454 tbi's just used a 4 barrel intake with a tbi adaptor-- so installing a carb is simple. if not you'll need a 4 barrel intake.

for the distributor you'll need a gm hei to make it work. one wire plug and play.

for the fuel supply i would remove the in tank pump and install a proper psi pump on the frame or under the hood. the factory tbi pump can supply around 13 psi but i am unsure if the pump can supply enough volume to a 4 barrel carb.

i hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

well it does have a little oomph, considering how heavy the entire thing is. i kind of figured if I could up the performance a little that it would have a little more oomph...maybe even change the gears in the differential.

I actually have an aluminum intake manifold kicking around here somewhere, I'm just not sure if this BBC has oval or rectangular ports. Heck, come to think of it, I have some decent heads back in NY with bigger valves in them to match the intake...a little cam action, a carb, some headers...might be just the ticket.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

also
I read something about...if you have a roller cam that you will need to change out the distributor drive gear or you'll wreck stuff.

Is there any way of knowing whether or not I have a roller cam without physically removing it? Did Chevy put roller cams in production engines circa 89? Would casting numbers tell me anything?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Highball

Unstable,
Your '89 Chev 454 is not a roller cam engine. It is probably an 8N block. I did own one. Then on to a 95 and it was a roller cam engine. Now I have a 99 and it is the Vortec engine. One bit of advice. before you do any fuel system changeouts check on the emission standards your state has. If it isn't rated and compatible the Smog System Tech will probably not pass the vehicle until you present the information on the carburetor certifying its approval for that use. I live in California and what a pain.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
454 DUDE !!

89 454 duelly

I also have a 89 Duelly and all I did was MSD 8.8 PLUG WIRES/Replacment MSD Coil/ And Autolight plugs and Royal Purple in crank case and it came to life !! It has TBI and seems to respond well /Trans 400 TH shift kit, Good Luck
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...ine/index.html
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

The TBI system is tricky to work with at times, and can take more money and time to get right, but once you do it will be leaps and bounds better than any carb. You may end up giving up some power, (probably just top end, I hear low end power is often better with TBI) but the mileage and drivability will be much better.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable
Funny how I hadn't been on this forum for several years and here I am right back at it.

I have a 1989 Chevy 1-Ton (C3500) with a 454 that is equipped with TBI.
It fires right up and runs pretty well. If I tap the throttle, the truck lunges forward but if I try to give it a bunch of gas at once, it wants to fall on its' face.

Eventually I'd like to do some upgrades to it, but i was first considering getting rid of the TBI and putting a carburator on it. I noticed the distributor isn't vacuum advance (it has an external coil), so I was wondering if the fuel and ignition systems might be tied together by some computer-crap somewhere...again, funny how I fix computers for a living and I hate them in cars...

First, is this replacement reasonable? If yes, what should I look at for a carburator? Ultimately I'd like to go through the motor and do some mild enhancements and it'd be cool to NOT have to buy a new carb when I do this. In terms of performance, factory HP rating is 230 on this motor...I have no real concept of how much that is, but I know the cars that I always thought were cool (old camaros, chevelles etc) were somewhere around 400 factory...and from what I understand, it doesn't take too much to get power out of a 454...recommendations?

thank you.
I'd be interested in your TBI Setup if you chose to get rid of it Ill even give you a qjet intake and carb and distributor from my RUNNING and DRIVING 454 engine.

I'm looking for a TBI setup to put on my truck. I really want a 90-ish with a 4L80E controller in it but i can snag the wiring and computer from another truck down the road if i ever get to the point of swapping in a 4L80e.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.