Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Swaping TBI for Carb - Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

We did this swap way back in 89. You`ll need to find a V8 parts car, as you will need the V8 crossmember. If memory serves the four cylinders bell housing doesn`t match the V8`s, I know the 6 cylinders didn`t. If it won`t swap and you want to go with a automatic you`ll need a TH350 short tail, and the adapter that lets the torque arm bolt up to the transmission, If I remember correctly, B&M makes these. Or if you want to go the 5 speed route get one out of a firebird or camaro that came with one from the factory. As mentioned, you`ll need a V8 radiator and you`ll need to change the front coil springs otherwise the front end will sit low by about 3 inches and make it not very safe to drive. I have the codes for factory posi rear ends that came in the Camaro Z28 and Firebird Trans Am cars from 82-87. Let me know if you want them. Why I advise getting a donor car as when we did it, we wished we would have had a donor car, it would have saved us many trips from the junk yard. The mount ears that mount on the side of the block, make sure you get them off a chevy pickup and remove the spacer, this will make the engine sit fully down in the engine bay. I`m not sure what fan you plan to use but If I remember you`ll need the V8 upper radiator cradle and the V8 fan shroud if you plan to run a clutch fan. The holes for the V8 mounts will already be present in the frame so that makes it a bolt on, this is a 2 man job unless you`ve did it enough times you`ve gotten used to it. There`s likely more things I can`t remember off the top of my head that will have to be swapped as well. But all things aside, if you can get a V8 Donor car, you`ll be money ahead, if you do it without a donor car, you`ll end up spending well over 3 to 4 grand. In the past that was way I told others unless you have a V8 donor car be prepared to spend some money, but first, look at the car and ask yourself is it worth it.