Swapping 3rd Members, different pinion attachment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping 3rd Members, different pinion attachment

I put a Ford 9" in my 67 Chevy C10 which I thought had 3.55 gears, unfortunately its not. The ratio is much higher, like 4.10 or something. I want to swap the third member with another one I have, but the spare one is from a Granada/Monarch and has a different pinion attachment [CV? vs U-joint]. See pictures for clarification. The spare unit has 2.75s, not ideal but I want to try it vs. the other gears. Motor is fresh but not built 350.

I am wondering if I can move the U-joint pinion attachment to the spare third member without disrupting the pinion setup in that third member? And if so how would one go about holding that pinion attachment in place in order to get the nut out of there? I do have air and an impact driver. Thanks for any tips!

Pictures 1 and 2 are the spare rearend, 3rd picture is the setup currently in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo 018.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	23347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo 019.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	23348   Click image for larger version

Name:	blines 015.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	23349  

Advertisement

Last edited by BIGSKY; 08-12-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You should be able to swap that over. The easiest way to get that off is with a good 1/2 impact wrench. If not I have used a breaker bar and have held the yoke with a pipe wrench
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Ford made and installed many different types and styles of yokes.
They can be changed ... but you will ruin the pinion load set up if not real careful. ( Then you have a useless, noisy rear end ) ...

I prefer to change the yokes ... with the center section out of the rear end ... so I can look at the pattern when I am finished.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
They can be changed ... but you will ruin the pinion load set up if not real careful. ( Then you have a useless, noisy rear end ) ...

I prefer to change the yokes ... with the center section out of the rear end ... so I can look at the pattern when I am finished.

That is my concern, if I get all ham fisted while getting the yoke off that I will mess up the pinion setup.

I thought about removing the third member first but I am not sure I can hold it properly if its not in the housing.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If you don't have a impact then you probably dont have torches?? The dealer tool I saw once had a rectangle shaped hole in a long flat tool. Place it over the yoke and let it hit the frame, then use a BIG breaker bar. You could make one with torches and some wide scrap metal.

I have not done a 9 inch. I can't see how a yoke change can affect the wear pattern on the teeth, because that is set by the shim under the inner bearing. But it could change the preload on the inner & out bearings. Look on google for a 9 inch ford page, there must be plenty out there. If not, I can try to look in an old Motors manual about the preload issues.

BTW, that 2.7 gear should work fine with a stock 350 on the wide open roads there....unless it's all big mountains
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
BTW, that 2.7 gear should work fine with a stock 350 on the wide open roads there....unless it's all big mountains
Yea, I am excited about trying the new gears, highway cruising should be nice. There are lots of big mountains but I don't take my shiny truck up there!

Well I got the yoke off by using a 4' breaker bar. It came off nice and slow, no sudden breaking loose, so I will pull the third member off my truck and put this 2.75 one in. I'll look up what the torque should be on my yoke.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Got it all apart, but I realize now that I have to swap out that plate that holds the pinion to the third member also. Its a shrouded type [a guess on terminology] and I don't think my yoke for the u-joint will work with that one. I removed this shrouded yoke plate and have the pinion removed from the third member, so I assuming that I am at square one basically as far as lash setup and will have to have my third member assembled by someone who knows how to do that, is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275gears 002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	23409  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.