Swapping engines from a 89 blazer 4x4 4.3l t.b.I to a 88 s10 4x4 2.8l t.b.I. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping engines from a 89 blazer 4x4 4.3l t.b.I to a 88 s10 4x4 2.8l t.b.I.

Will this work out atleast somwat decently? What all will I have to worry about and do to make everything work like the computer etc. I am also putting the tranny from the blazer in my s10. I am looking for some advice this will be my first engine swap that I am doing mainly by myself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

engine and transmission, including motor mounts, exhaust,
vacuum hoses. It is all different . The 2.8 is a 60 degree v 6 and the 4.3is a 90 degree v 6.
The bolt pattern on the engine/trans is different as is the exhaust,wiring harness vacuum hose arrangement, all the engine brackets and motor mounts. Probably the radiator also. The PCM may be the same, however it could have a different plug than the 88....so
Its a good thing you have a complete donor car, your gonna need it.
The transfer case may interchange from one trans to the other, it depends on the adapter housing on the transmission.
Oh and the radiator may be different .
Wiring and pcm may be the same, the prom in the pcm will be different for the 4.3
Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM

So what do I do about the different motor mounts? R there adapters or just fabricate something to make it work. For all the hoses and wiring being different, will they not reach to where they need to go in the s10? Or how would that work? I've never done all that before so I'm just kinda tryan to figure this all out before I start on it and plus I still gotta c if I gotta get the head rebuilt or a new one for the 4.3 or mabey just the gasket is bad.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Do you think that this swap will be rather simple for the most part , I seem to be pretty good with these things if I get some tips I can usualy figure somthing out from there so any advice would be alot of help
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM

I think the mechanical stuff will be strait forward and easy just unbolt one engine and bolt the new one in. motor mounts, tranny mounts, etc, can be unbolted from one and bolted into the other. BUT and this is a big BUT I think this will be an electrical nightmare. basically you will have to take the engine wiring harness out of the 4.3 blazer and try to mate it and the computer into the s10 chassis harness. it can be done but you had better have a very strong back ground in automotive electronics. Or just put a carb on the 4.3 and a normal dist and call it a day.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

4.3 swap

my son and I just did that swap. the difference being that the truck we would end up with (83 s10 reg cab lwb 4x4 that originally had a 2.8 auto)started out as a completely stripped out hulk that didn't even have a dash or even pedals in it. totally stripped and sandblasted is how he brought it home so we needed to swap out all the stuff. we got a donor truck, 1990 s10 blazer with 4.3 auto and took the engine, trans, transfer case,all the mounts, control arms and torsion bars (4.3 has to weigh more), fuel lines, computer, radiator, clutch fan, p/s pump, brake booster, steering column, pedals, dash cluster, computer dash pad and the complete wiring harness from fuse box to tail lights. we did have to do some splicing out back because the blazer wiring is all inside and the truck stuff isn't. the blazer also has rear defog and hatch release switches that the trucks don't, but it was easier to do the whole harness under the hood than try and splice that stuff and end up with problems. it is not a small job and we changed more than one would normally have to, just because the truck was empty to start with. even the seats and carpet came along for the ride. my advice would be to get a wiring diagram for the both of them and sit down and compare the differences. it is a lot of work and you may be better off just starting over with a truck that is already equipped with the options you want. take alook and if you plan on using the 2.8 harness on the 4.3 then start tracing wire lengths etc and see how many times your harness will have a splice in it to give you grief down the road. it sounds like the 4.3 is a little suspect. better get that sorted out before anything. if it has had coolant in the engine it could have caused some damage you will find out after all this other work is done.
not tying to disourage you at all, just that there could be an easier job to get your feet wet with. like a straight forawd engine swap. unless you are good with wiring.
good luck
dsraven
Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

both motors are TBI and there only one year apart. There is a good chance the wiring will be very close if not the same. I think they use the same ecm just a different prom.
It would be wise to get a EWD (electrical wiring diagram) for the powertrain and compare the harness connectors at thepcm pin for pin.
I have done this several times. You may be suprised, it could be one thing on the truck that is very similar if not the same.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Ya I was thinking about just tryan to find a carb for it but what do I do for the fuel pump, wouldn't I need to get a mechancal fuel pump or how do I make the carb work and get fuel to the carb and watnot
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

motor mounts
http://v8s10.com/Pages/Parts_S10-43-...entMounts.html

wiring should plug right in. some wires may be short. or use the underhood part of the harness from the blazer. should plug right into the fusebox. just plug in the 4.3l ECM in place of the 2.8

theres like nothing complicated about this swap. 4.3Ls were an option in 88
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

So pretty much just swap motor and tranny and computer and that's it? Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM

How do I swap the wiring harness, do I gott unplug alll of the wires from the fuse panel or is there a plug at the firewall, I can't tell for sure but I think I do Gota swap the hole wiring harness. Any tips or ideas?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

unplugs from the fuse box. should just have to replace the underhood harness
Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM

And for the motor mounts on the frame, IDE have to drop the hole front end to het to the nuts to get them off so I was thinking I would just torch the bolts out then line up the rite motor mounts on the frame perfectly and weld them on, that should hold rite and wouldn't be too much vibration on a weld like that from the motor??
Old 05-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

the mounts i posted bolt right up to the 2.8L frame mounts
Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Oh ic what ur sayen for the mounts.. And for the wiring harness I just unplug ever wire from the fuse box and pull it through the firewall then I just gota figure out wich wires plug in where in the fuse box with the new wiring harness? Rite?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.