Hot Rod Forum banner

Swapping Gear Drive Out for Timing Chain or Belt Drive - Need Suggestions

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 ·
I'm getting rid of my gear drive ... looking at the Jesel Belt Drive as a replacement, or a GOOD performance timing chain. The Jesel is pretty expensive at like $800, though!

What are your suggestions? Next to the Jesel belt drive, what would be your next choice?

I'm running a Chevy 350 SB with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer 4bbl carb, Blockhugger headers, and a mild hydraulic cam.

I want the best I can get, but the Jesel may be a bit much price-wise.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

#3 ·
Thanks, Bumpstick

JEG'S has the Cloyes, too, but more choices -- what are the important points in choosing a timing chain? JEG'S has the Cloyes 3100 in a kit, including a Renold true roller chain with heat treated billet sprocket, a cam sprocket with the Cloyes Hex-A-Just timing system (to dial in the camshaft to within a fraction of a degree) and a needle thrust bearing -- all for $100.

Then they show a wear plate for an additional $11 -- do I need that, too?

Also, I was reading that front covers can flex and cause erratic timing and that a cast aluminum timing cover eliminates that problem ... is this a real issue or not?

Thanks for your help.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

#4 ·
To be honest for the street and every day driving no real big need for torrington bearing or thrust plate... These are mainly needed for a roller setup along with a teflon button to prevent cam walk... The chain itself will keep the alignment in check and the cam gear has cuts to allow oil inbetween it and and block which has been the way on SBC`s for years... I`m running just the chain and sprocket set and have no problems and see no need to spend extra for something I dont really need...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.