Swapping heads on a 383 SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping heads on a 383 SBC

Im sure this has been discussed many times but how hard is it to swap the head on my 383??. I mean i have never done it and im considering buying some new heads. My motor is a 383 with the stock cast iron heads on there. I have no idea what cam was put in there, thats my problem. It does have a nice lope to it, but who knows. I have a holly contender manifold on there right now with a holly 670 street avenger carb. I have a Edlebrock airgap i just bought and am going to install. I was just giving it some thought, and while i was in there maybe changing the heads to get some more horses. I want to spend between $1000.00-$1400.00. I was lookiong at some 23 degree trickflow heads in Summit, but maybe you guys have some other ideas for my application. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 11:02 AM

from everything that i have seen on the car shows on t.v. and that i have read over the last 5 yrs. or so with that kind of money i would go with AFR.check them out at their site.also go to westtech performance group and check out the head tests.you can link to them from AFR.good luck.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

All depends on what you want. AFR heads will cost you around 1300 and have about 6 weeks waiting period.
Then you have to think about the cost of all the other parts. If your getting new rockers are they goning to be roller rockers at around 200 or stay with new stamped steel. Then the cost of push rods. New heads gaskets (good fel-pros). AFR suggest you use new head bolts or studs. Then all the gaskets (intake, exhaust)
All around you can look at close to 1600-1700 if you go that way. All other things aside you will have a great head on the engine. I got them and couldn't be happier. If you can't do your own porting or don't want to pay to have someone do it on other heads then AFR are your friend. Don't forget there are a number of great heads out there that are cheaper then AFR. What are your future plans for this engine?

Chris
Old 03-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replys. I will look into the AFR's. As far as plans thats about it the motor only has about 20'000 miles on it. I am debating on buying some heads for it. I have a MSD 6A on it right now and a MSD distributor im going to put in it. I have the Air Gap manifold for it put am waiting and trying to decide if im going to get some heads before i put the Airgap on it. Id defintley love to get some more hores out of it. I just put 3:73 posi in it.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Besides the heads did oyu look into a new cam? With those gears in the back you may be able to get a much better run out of the car with a cam that puts the powerband where it works together with the gears. You might be able to go with something like DART heads that will be chaper and leave you some extra for a cam or a TQ conv. that way everything in the set up works hand in hand and you will have a smooth ride with all the power sittin inside.

Chris
Old 03-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I prefer cast iron on the street. I own both. My aluminum heads always make me feel nervous. I can just picture them warping. Beside cast iron makes more power.

Like STM said, you will have more money for other parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.