Swapping a Muncie m465 to a TH350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 05:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping a Muncie m465 to a TH350

I would like to swap my useless m465 granny low tranny for a brand new TH350, but I would like to know if I need to change the cross member. Has anyone else done this before?? Its going to be done in a 1978 Chevy Custom Deluxe 20 pickup. I have all the parts, and the new tranny, drive shaft etc, and it all measures up right, but it seems that the transmission mounts on the base of the TH350 are too far forward to bolt onto the crossmember. I have also tried with the crossmember from a different truck that was meant to go with the TH350 to begin with, but its still about a 1/4 of an inch out. Is there a different mount that I could buy that would give me the correct placement for the holes? Or do I have to re drill the frame. If this is the case, is this a good idea to be putting more holes in my frame just to make this fit?

The only reason Im doing this is, it was all free so why not!

Thanks,

TL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

If things don't measure up redrill the frame.
If you are worried about frame strength find the factory crossmember support brackets, or make a set of your own.
If you need the measurements for these brackets, or never heard of them I will be at the shop friday and most of the weekend, and I could take measurements and pics.
Just for reference there at least 4 different crossmembers that will bolt directly into the same bolt holes in your frame.
There is also an alternative to using the brackets, drill the bottom of the frame to accept the crossmember, drill through the top of the same framerail at each bolt location.
Using washers on each surface of the framerail (4 washers per bolt), install a bolt long enough to protrude past the top of the framerail enough to seat the nut fully on the bolt threads.
Between the top and bottom framerail surfaces inside the frame install a short section of black plumbing pipe to snugly fit in the space to add support.
I can also post a picture of this if the description in not clear enough.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks!!! Worked great. I didnt even need to re drill. It turns out that the old x-member has slightly warped over the 31 years of service. With a little massaging and whatnot, the tranny bolted straight up, like it was meant to be . Now for the longer drive shaft, and Im back up and running!! WHoohoo

Best x-mas ever thanks to you guys

TL

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.