Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Swapping out 6cyl for 390FE in 1970 Stang
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping out 6cyl for 390FE in 1970 Stang

I have a 1969 390 FE - bored .060 with an Edelbrock RPM intake and some other goodies. I am going to pull my 250 6cyl C4 auto combo out (yes it runs like a top - no smoke) and put in a 390FE C6 auto. I have the engine and trans but that is about it. I have heard 2 different ways to get Frame brackets for the car - 1 was to use small block ones and drill an extra hole in there. I could order a kit from CRITES but would like to save some money on this project. So i was wondering if someone can help with that. also will i be able to modify the trans crossmember or do I have to get another one because of the difference in size between the c4 and c6. and since 428s came in 1970 stangs can i order stuff for a 428 stang and it fit the 390 - like headers and motormounts - after i get the frame brackets straightened out? I am also assuming I will have to get a shorter drive shaft as well - I know I am going to get a replacement cause the one I have is 2-piece trash. This is my first FE build - most other stuff was small block Ford and chevy stuff.