Swapping spindles to move tie rod connection to rear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Swapping spindles to move tie rod connection to rear

I'm reposting this question because it may not be noticed under my previous thread.
I've been looking for modern suspension components that will work on my '37 Buick Roadmaster to upgrade similar to the Wiki '37 BOP upgrade.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...pension_upgrade.
The '84-'96 Corvette dimensions are pretty close with the exception of the 13.25" lower control arm length.
My Buick has an C dimension of 20 inches and the closest part I have found to date is a '95 or earlier Chevy van with C dim of 18".
Maybe the Vett components would work with a relocated mount bracket.
The other problem is that Buick has the steering box mounted to the rear of the cross member. One way around of this is cutting a clearance path in front of the cross member like the Progressive Automotive kits specify.
1) Alternatively, would swapping the left and right spindle parts work? This would put the tie rod connect on the back of the setup and the disc brake caliper on the front of the setup.
2) Has anyone out there ever successfully done a similar left/right spindle swap?
Thanks
Mutt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Swapping the spindles side to side will throw off your steering geometry, specifially the ackermam. Ackerman is the geometry in the steering that allows the outside front wheel to follow a larger diameter arc than the inside front wheel. Without proper ackerman the front tires will scrub, wear quickly and on a slick road could even cause you to lose control.
The easiest explanation of ackerman angle that I saw showed the tie rod connection on a line that ran from the spindle to the center of the rear axle, this means for a front steer setup the steering arms angle out from the spindle and for a rear steer they angle in.
If you switch the spindles from side to side you will have a rear steer setup with the steering arms angled out, not a good situation.
In theory if the steering are forged and not cast they could be heated and bent to restore the ackerman but if the heat treatment of the steel is not correct you could weaken it or make it more brittle, also not advised.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

For some reason I did not get an e-mail when you replied.
Thanks for reminding me about the ackerman angle.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.