Sway Bar bushing blues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sway Bar bushing blues

The Sway bar bushing blues.
A one inch ADDCO sway bar for your 58-68 Impala is a good thing ....if it doesn’t have power steering. On my ’64 (all 58-64 Impalas) the original driver’s side sway bar bushing mount doubles as the power steering slave cylinder bracket also. The bushing that is supplied with the ADDCO sway bar will not fit into this mount/bracket and the ADDCO supplied bushing mount has no provision for the power steering slave cylinder. These parts are so badly mis-matched that extensive modification and/or fabrication is going to have to be done to make this work. I have asked ADDCO via email (a couple of times) if they supply a bushing/mount/bracket that will work for this application. Noone replys.
What I have done is modify the bushing by grinding away the retaining flange on the inboard side of the bushing so that it can (‘sorta) fit inside the original mount, however that is only a very temporary fix since it will eventually (and is) work it’s way out.
Does anyone have a solution for this ‘problem’?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 AM
T buckets rule

Some years ago I ran into a simalr problem. I went to the junk yard and found a steering box and pump off a later model chevy that did not use the long cylinder, but just the pump and box.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I put the 605 PS conversion on my 59.
I also had the same issues,
I ended up trimming the bushings that came with the sway bar kit to fit into OEM brackets.
I also had to make my own Gearbox bracket so the gearbox would clear sway bar.
To me this is not a bolt in operation. At the very least it should be noted that this requires some fabrication or 'mickeymousing'.

On mine the sway bar just misses the bottom of the gearbox by about 1/16"
and the top of the pitman arm by less than that.

I also used the lower control arms from a vehicle that had a sway bar as original equipment.

I noticed in a Classic Industries catalog, after I had made this work, there is a notice that the 706 sway bar will not work with a 605 conversion.

What can ya do????

Classic Performance--I have been told---is working on a power steering box that will bolt up to the 58-64 frame without an adaptor bracket. I do hope that they will check the fit with and without the sway bar that is offered.
They should also offer OEM type bushing brackets to fit in the factory holes.

Following the instructions in the bar installation is near impossible, as the mounting holes for the steering box have tubes running thru the frame for strength and also interfer with installing the brackets that come with sway bar.

Bryan
Old 11-24-2006, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Bryan,
It looks as if I'm gonna have to 'make something work' by doing a bit of fabrication. I hate that; especially since it has too do with steering. It is interesting that in this day of 'product liability' that ADDCO would offer a product that when installed as directed could cause (what's the legal term?) "serious risk of injury or death".
ADDCO was quick to answer my emails when I asked about the availability of of sway bars for my '64, however thay have ignored my inquires about how to solve my swaybar 'situation' with their product.
Incidentially and 'by the way', the rear sway bar mounting plates from ADDCO cannot be mounted as ADDCO says they are supposed to be. To do so would mean either drilling holes through the spring mounts(not a good idea) or repositioning the mounting plate to the wrong position further up the control arms where the bar would have little or no effect and could actually damage the control arms and/or bushings.
Am I pissed? Whatdayathink?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

Are you using OEM power steering??
If you can locate oem brackets for the bushings, you can trim them to fit, and use the stock holes.

I also ended buying replacement end link kits for the 59 as well,
The end link bolts that came with the bar were way too short in my opinion.
somewhere I have some pics of the 605box/706bar interference and notes of what i did to get by these issues.

I also think that if the sway bar manufacturers would produce a bar of
7/8" vs 1" it would make for a much better install all around, and provide clearance at the frame and pitman arm.

Bryan
Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Brian,
Yes; the powersteering is OEM and a replacement sway-bar bushing/power steering slave cylinder mounting bracket is available from Classic Industries for 60 bucks. I have considered buying one and trying to make it work, but I'm not comfy with possibly butchering the thing up and having it not work afterall. I think that removing the locating ridge for the original bushing from the underside of the bracket may work, however I am concerened that may weaken it and cause the slave cylinder mount to flex and possibly fail ...not a good thing. Did you have the same ....problem/experience?
By the way, nice looking 'camino!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

My car did not have power steering when I got it.
But I have a few pics at home for the brackets you will need.
The OEM PS bracket has a provision for the sway bar (oem is 11/16" dia)
And the bushig bracket bolts directly to the PS bracket (actually the ps bracket is sandwiched between the sway bar bracket and the frame.)

The brackets for the sway bar could probably be located at any salvage, as the brackets were pretty much the same all thru the 60's.

When I get home I will locate some pics for you.

BTW---Thanks---just started driving in June---5 yr project

Bryan

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.