Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Sway Bar Choices (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sway-bar-choices-189050.html)

123pugsy 12-13-2010 12:00 PM

Sway Bar Choices
 
I checked out a sway bar at the hot rod shop and it was only 7/8'' diameter.

It seemed a little ''thin'' for my liking.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good factory sway bar I could use.

My front end is similar to a MII with a 56'' track width.

Thanks.

MARTINSR 12-13-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy
I checked out a sway bar at the hot rod shop and it was only 7/8'' diameter.

It seemed a little ''thin'' for my liking.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good factory sway bar I could use.

My front end is similar to a MII with a 56'' track width.

Thanks.

There is more than the diameter that makes a sway bar stiff or not stiff. The length of the arms at each end for example. How far out on the control arm the link is mounted is another.

7/8 is bigger than the stock one on my 4500 lb Buick, that is now wimpy bar! Of course it all depends on the length of the arm link mounting point.

If that is one that they have specifically for rod use with MII set ups, I would say it's a good place to start.

Brian

123pugsy 12-13-2010 06:48 PM

Thanks Brian.

I now know of two bars not to use. :mwink:

Cape Cod Bob 12-13-2010 07:59 PM

Check out Chassis Eng. Go to page 8.
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ :welcome:

BillyShope 12-14-2010 03:45 PM

If you don't already have one, you might first consider a rear swaybar.

Stiffen the front and the car pushes. Stiffen the rear and it's looser.

http://www.racetec.cc/shope

123pugsy 12-14-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Check out Chassis Eng. Go to page 8.
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ :welcome:


Thanks.

These look similar to the ones at the speed shop.

123pugsy 12-14-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShope
If you don't already have one, you might first consider a rear swaybar.

Stiffen the front and the car pushes. Stiffen the rear and it's looser.

http://www.racetec.cc/shope

Thanks for the reply.

I have the stock sway bar that came with the Cobra IRS.

I'm wondering if anyone has used something like one from a Camaro or something.

MRTS33 12-16-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
There is more than the diameter that makes a sway bar stiff or not stiff. The length of the arms at each end for example. How far out on the control arm the link is mounted is another.

If that is one that they have specifically for rod use with MII set ups, I would say it's a good place to start.

Brian

Good advice right here. How much weight?

I a Had 71 GMC Sprint(Elcamino) the stock sway bar up front was 7/8" (I think) and nothing in the back. Handled like a slush puppy :rolleyes: . I put a 1-1/8" up front and a 7/8" out back and was like night and day.

123pugsy 12-16-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRTS33
Good advice right here. How much weight?

I a Had 71 GMC Sprint(Elcamino) the stock sway bar up front was 7/8" (I think) and nothing in the back. Handled like a slush puppy :rolleyes: . I put a 1-1/8" up front and a 7/8" out back and was like night and day.


Around 4000 lbs.

I have my supplier sending me a couple of samples that I will measure and check the shape and overall width.
One is 1-1/4'' and the other I'm not sure of yet.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.