sway bar installation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 12:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

sway bar installation

Removed a sway bar to install new bushings and end links and now the sway bar does not want to bolt up to the two center bushings?? The bushings and brackets are at an angle? I can get one on but not the other?? I tried jacking the car up, no help, Tried flipping the bar end to end,thinking I got it backwards, Nothing! Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

the only thing i can think is to take off the bar and remount attaching the center clamps first. then tie in the link kits on the ends. i had to replace a link kit on my mazda p/u and had to jack the bar close to the link to get the nut started on the bolt. i tightened it up and it really compressed quite a bit. i would try that and see what happens.

good luck,

JB
Old 08-30-2003, 07:47 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The sway bar is usually installed to the frame first. Then attach the links. Also sometimes the bushings for the mounts, and the mount brackets themselves are angled. Try turning the bushings and brackets around on the bar, or switch them from side to side.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:01 PM

sway bar

Thanks, guys for the info. Im attaching the frame bushings first and see what happens. This supposedly 3 hr. job is turning into
a occupation. This is a GM sway bar and it has this little crook on the bar at each end , where the frame bushings mount, that is just driving me crazy.
Thanks..again
Old 08-30-2003, 07:11 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Wheel.... It is easier to answer questions that have the info in them as to what is being worked on.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:01 AM

sway bar

What I have is a 53 Stude. with a GM front clip welded in. I have no idea what GM make or model it is. The car runs good and handles O.K. The orginal sway bar was a 15/16 inch. I came across a 1 1/4 in sway bar from a Trans AM but it was about 2 in. longer. Soooo, I decided to just add the poly bushings and end links to the orginal bar. Now the frame bushings wont line up correctly. One goes on o.k the other, wants to go at an angle.
The front end is lowered about 2 in. I cant tell if the coils were cut or the drop is from the spindles?
Anyway, Ive tried putting the end links on first...no help
Tried letting the car set at its " static ride height " wheels on, not jacked up...no help. Tried flipping the bar end to end, thinking I had it on backwards..no help. Tried turning the bushings on the frame ..no help...Right now its on the garage floor and I was just about reading to have a Miller Light when my daughter came in from D.C to visit..Ill mess with it again later when she leaves. The !(*#$*&^ stupid thing came out of there and should go right back in!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:04 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Now I see your problem. You hadn't had the Miller Light yet! Everything was straight, it just looked crooked!

Did you compare the bushings to make sure they were the same? Also check the brackets to make sure they are the same, as in not right and left versions. I have seen them where they would not interchange from side to side. How far off are they? The ride height should not make a difference on how the bar attaches to the frame.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:47 AM

sway bar

Drum roll...please, mystery solved on why the sway bar would not fit right. As I mentioned the Stude has a gm front end under it Nova, Camero,Chevelle, I dont know? cant tell.After taking a lot of measurements. The front end was sectioned and about 3 inches removed from the center and welded back in!! The sway bar that was in it and to have been coaxed in the bushings with god only knows what or how ? Thats why the sway bar bushings were such a mess. Anyway, Im loking at tearing that out and maybe, going with a Mustang 2 or something else. Thanks to all for the help and replies
Old 09-29-2003, 05:11 PM

I having a similar problem because my new end links are too long

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.