Hot Rod Forum banner

Sweet T Bucket

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Northstar T 
#1 ·
Hi you guys. Not too long ago, I found a nice T bucket on Craigslist and man it looked to exactly what "I thought" I wanted since I built my first model of them as a boy.

I wanted to show pictures but the "Manage Attachments" is not working for me now.

So here is a video I did of a walk around and "attempting" to drive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXBrHJypaI8 I drove 1000 miles round trip, to Oklahoma because I intended to buy the car. Spent the night, next morning, went to see the car. I was blown away, a beautiful 383 stroker with everything good.

Just a perfect T for me. Not hardly! I'm a skinny 165 pound guy 6 feet tall. You needed to be either a child, or a midget to fit behind the wheel!

The car had a tilt steering wheel, and with it tilted all the way forward, I could slide in from the passenger side only. Even then my left leg was pulled back tight against its self pointing straight up in a most un comfortable fashion.

My right leg was spread as wide as I could with out cramping and was also pointing almost straight up. I could barley touch the pedals with the side of my shoe.

You can see the gyrations I went thru trying to get out and hold the camera at the same time.

A long trip for a 30 minute disappointment, couldn't even drive it. I later came across a place called Detroit Speed Craft who builds something with more room but there butt ugly, and not a True T. I talked with them about building me there "high performance" 23 T-X. They build a turn key car, for $27.000 but like I said, its ugly, with a funky 350 small block that's stock with there cobbled up crappy looking exhaust pipes.

I offered them the chance to build me a car to my specs and was going long to at least $40k. I was going to supply them the engine and trans, my self, but the greedy skunks told me that for $40K they would build me a car but they get to choose everything including there nasty *** engines and transmissions so they could use there vendors and middle the deal so to make more money from me!

I told them "really" you would expect me to just give you free reign to throw together some crap you think I should have instead of what I want and am paying for? He frankly told me yes. If he could not use his vendors and I insisted on having what I wanted, the price was now $50.000!

On top of the cost to me of the engine and transmission of course.

I have a good idea you all can figure out where I instructed him to firmly implant that idea!

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Tall people need a cut down and welded up four door car. Or a fiberglass tub that is made to give more room. But a lower seat helps a small amount. Lots of hotrods are out for really tall people anglea, willies, many of the pre war fords.
I have painted a few buckets, and of course had to "try them on". :) Even though I am about 5-9, they are tight. One had a stretched fiberglass body that someone makes. It was a little better.

I have a customer who is about 6-2 or 6-3. He wanted an early Ford pickup, but never could get comfortable in them. Finally he found a '40 project for sale. That was his chance! He bought it, and did a "stretch cab" build. :)~

Problem solved!

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply, It was good I passed on the whole T bucket idea. I got my Nova instead, and it has a roof, and opening doors, with windows and seats four comfortably.

As well, I have really fair skin and sun burn easily and have had several skin cancers on my nose and face. The Texas sun would cook my brain. Naturally I had thought of all this but the T was sooooo cool!!

#8 ·
I'm with Delewarebill. I mash the scales at 235, am 6'2", and fit in mine fine as well. very comfortable. it's all about how well the car is built to begin with. (#1) the steering has to come out of the firewall, not the floor. (#2) the engine/trans need to be low enough and far enough forward so you don't end up with half the existing floor humped up to the dash to clear the bell. (#3) the seat needs to be low and the back not to thickly padded, and directly to the fiberglass tub. Mine also had a T-5 5 speed and was STILL comfortable to drive.
I had my T for 5-6 years and Jennifer and I turned into kids again every time we drove it…. which was often. a total fun machine. I firmly believe that EVERY guy should own a T at least once before they keel over.
You'll note in the photo that my arms are actually straight out, just to even reach the wheel ;)

Amen,
Russ

Attachments

#9 ·
How refreshing! I'm into the Nova project now, but I was bummed out that I had to pass on that T.

Must have been built for a short person, like the guy selling it. He was not the owner he worked for him. But you guys T's look just screaming mean!

And yes sir, you all look very laid back and comfy. The T did have the steering column coming thru the floor. And it did have the engine and trans set a bit high in the frame. And it also did have a lot of padding in back and all around.

Point is, not all T's are the same. Going to have to have a big garage!

#10 ·
I Google "stretched T-bucket" and found at least three manufacturers.

I'm sure I have said it here before... but I love T-buckets. They are like the "chopper of the car world"! Two big rear tires... good power... two little wheels to pick your direction... and only enough bodywork for two butts and a gas tank! Sounds like a hot rod to me!!!

Here are a few I sprayed

Attachments

#15 ·
a fun moment with bucket

about 12 yrs ago, driving main hwy from town to town. now my bucket was a little warmed up, maybe 300hp. at a lite a fella with a nice mustang pulled up and rev'd engine. looked around for cops and lite went green i gave it 3/4 throttle. just enough to stay ahead by 3 or car lenghts. he gave me a lame excuse of losing and wanted another.. 3rd time a charm. i told him to pick the time and place for a race and make sure u bring your title.. cause the looser loses there car... he bailed.. it was fun and no tickets. last time i did that... that would have been a really bad ticket.

#18 ·
about 12 yrs ago, driving main hwy from town to town. now my bucket was a little warmed up, maybe 300hp. at a lite a fella with a nice mustang pulled up and rev'd engine. looked around for cops and lite went green i gave it 3/4 throttle. just enough to stay ahead by 3 or car lenghts. he gave me a lame excuse of losing and wanted another.. 3rd time a charm. i told him to pick the time and place for a race and make sure u bring your title.. cause the looser loses there car... he bailed.. it was fun and no tickets. last time i did that... that would have been a really bad ticket.
There is that "power to weight ratio" in action! :)~

#20 ·
I had a bucket. The body it had on it when I bought it was a bit tight and it was an ever loving mess so I sourced a new body from a guy in Orlando. He stretches them in the cowl so they keep their proportions. I really liked that car and it was a joy to drive. As a note my steering came out of the floor.

#22 ·
I had a bucket. The body it had on it when I bought it was a bit tight and it was an ever loving mess so I sourced a new body from a guy in Orlando. He stretches them in the cowl so they keep their proportions. I really liked that car and it was a joy to drive. As a note my steering came out of the floor.

Your T is also just the style I like. It has to be fast no more than it weighs. When money allows I would love to have one, but make sure it fits me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.