Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   swim goggles rock! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/swim-goggles-rock-216772.html)

tech69 03-15-2012 07:08 PM

swim goggles rock!

ok, I felt embarrassed getting these cause not only are they swim goggles but I acted like a hot shot in one of Martin's threads about glasses. So today I'm driving home and thinking how I'm sick of bondo dust getting into my eyes, but I knew glasses would just get dust on the inside and outside and in my eyes as well, and most googles suck and fog up, so I thought, what about swim goggles? They are awesome! I will use them for bondo sanding, spraying primers, and under my welding helmet. I will also use them for grinding and with a shield in front for under car grinding. Sounds like a plan, Stan. Less lens means less area for dirt and less area to wipe up to clean. Just thought I'd share cause they're awesome. Guess I'm a safety geek after all, but I'm sure the real safety geeks wouldn't approve cause it's not osha approved.

matt167 03-15-2012 07:23 PM

I have goggles like science room goggles from HS. There ok, but under a car they suck cause the light comes in from the side and shines onto the face

matts37chev 03-16-2012 06:58 PM

plus they come in cool colors :D

tech69 03-16-2012 08:21 PM

delphino swim googles are perfect cause it has a piece that hangs over the edge of the lens and you can cut holes in that area and it will be tucked under that lip so they don't fog up nor will stuff fly out and tag your eye. There's a small risk of something getting into them but the chance of that is slim, just as it is with safety goggles with holes in them.

MARTINSR 03-16-2012 10:35 PM

Interesting, I think they would be a little to difficult to get on and off, I like things as easy as possible that way you DO it. But hey, if the difficulty to get them on and off is out weighed by the less intrusive fit while wearing them perhaps that's the incentive. Either way good to see you using them. :thumbup:

Brian

tech69 03-17-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debrajt01
I will also use them for grinding and with a shield in front for under car grinding. Sounds like a plan, Stan. Less lens means less area for dirt and less area to wipe up to clean.http://www.datasea.info/avatar4.jpg

If you can get the Delphino ones cause you still have to cut little holes in them. The Delphino ones have a lip that hangs over the sides and you can put a couple 1/16" holes in there and they are completely covered. The chance of something gettig in there is the same with goggles with holes for anti fogging measures. They work great!

S10 Racer 03-17-2012 09:20 AM

This sounds like a good idea for sanding and other less dangerous work but I would suggest that doing any grinding or abrasive cutting, you use something with impact resistant ANSI approved lenses. I'm not sure if the swim goggles are rated for impact.

tech69 03-17-2012 10:18 AM

absolutely. For that I was thinking of something like dual pane lenses with air between them for anti fog measures. They're a little more pricey but they make some that look like glasses that look like they don't interfere with respirators I'm gonna try those out too, but you have to get them at a safety store.

deadbodyman 03-22-2012 08:01 AM

Now you got me thinking,shame on you.....Many moons ago I loved to ski (lol ,the skis were made of wood) and the goggles had the vents but the goggles were a tad big ,I wonder if they are smaller now....One nice thing was you could snap in different lenses..Why cant someone make a real nice fitting set of safety glasses with cheap,ez to replace lenses???? I was watching CSI on tv the other dat and the guy had glasses that connected in the front with a magnet or something,I was thinking WOW something like that would be perfect ,they would never fall off even if you were upside down......
They do need to work on "cool factor" though..
My philosophy when it comes to safety glasses ,pencils ,masking tape.tape measures,etc is to have so many around the shop that you never have to look for them.Only problem with the glasses is it sometimes takes forever to find a set of glasses that you can see out of,they get all scratched up or get oversprayed, when I finally get fed up I'll gather up all those glasses put them in a box and walk them over to the bench buffer and polish them up with headlight lens repair compound it only takes a minute and I'm good to go for a couple more months..
Someone could get rich if they came up with the perfect set of safety glasses that fit so well you wouldn't even know you had them on ,Crystal clear and looked cool.maybe even auto darkening...I know I'd pay good money for the ultimate pair of safety glasses.

matts37chev 03-22-2012 09:05 AM

my son used to race ATVs, and we had a very good sponsor, for some nice goggles
so we had goggles and lenses everywhere
so part for fun, as a joke, and part for practical uses he would wear ridding goggles in the garage for sand blasting, polishing, grinding, etc. :D

tech69 03-19-2013 08:52 AM

ever see those ones task force guys wear? get those! they are pricey but will never fog up

Rod S. 03-24-2013 02:38 PM

safety glasses

Im with Deadbodyman, I keep so many pairs all over the shop that there is never an excuse to not wear them. I had to change the ones i wear though cuz i got metal in my eye twice last year and was wearing them. The ones i wear now are about the least expensive ansi approved glasses that Airgas carries, they fit well and are so cheap i just throw them away and grab a new pair when they get scratched. I think the part number is 64001205 and they are like maybe $1.50 a pair. I buy them by the dozen and force my son and his buddies to wear them when in the garage. Then i just send them home with them so they have a pair at home.

Rod