Swirls after polishing single stage acrylic urethane (black) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Swirls after polishing single stage acrylic urethane (black)

Pics to go along

I'm painting my YZF600 this summer and I've made major headway, however I seem to have hit a road block. I got a lot of orange peel while painting, but I hope its not a problem for me because I'm sanding the paint anyway. So I wet-sanded with 400, 600, 1500, and finally 2000 grit sandpaper, then applied Meguiar's line of rubbing compound, polishing compound, and wax. I used foam, microfiber, and cotton applicator pads from Auto Zone.

It looks really good indoors, but the sun reveals swirls. Am I stressing too much? Is this what I should expect from these products? Also, I've done everything by hand and using a machine buffer is out of the question. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Couple of questions come to mind...what brand of material is it, you mentioned black single stage but, what type Acrylic Enamel, Acylic Urethane, Poly Urethane or Enamel? How long ago did you paint it? You also started with 400 wet, I assume you went that coarse to cut the Orange Peel out of it quickly?

I would assume from the information (and I can't see the scratches in the pictures...it appears just as black) that you have not completely taken the 400 grit sand scratch out, yes you have gone to 600, then 1,500...way to big a jump, if you got the 400 grit scratch out 600, you didn't get the 600 grit scratch out with the 1,500. What you need to do now is get some 1,000 grit wet paper...spend a fair amount of time cutting the paint, then move to 1,500, then 2,000 and even try 2,500...after 2,500 you should be able to hand polish quite easily...as long as you get rid of the 600 grit scratches with the 1,000, the 1,000 with the 1,500 and so on.

make sure you also use a clean micro fiber towel with each grit of polish...using a micro fiber towel with coarse compound residue on it and applying fine compound to that towel...well, there are swirl marks there as soon as you touch a panel.

If you can answer my questions, maybe I can offer more advice but, as it stands now...try this if all else fails...Machine buffers are fine, machine sanders for cutting are not...just be careful.

Ray
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM

@69 widetrack
Its acrylic urethane (in the title), sprayed yesterday. Yes, the 400 was to remove orange peel.

You can't see the swirls? It's in the first three pictures.
I'll get some 1000 and 2500 grit sandpaper tomorrow, and try it out.

Thanks for the advice Ray.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

AE, in the title...sorry bout that, started before 5 AM today...between posting and about 9 hours of actual work, I haven't stopped...getting a little worn out.

Your welcome...key...spend time with the 1,000 grit...probably the most important grit you have right now...Micro Fiber towels...one towel per compound and don't intermix them. STOP...just reread your first post...Was the painted surface down with wax and grease remover...do not wax AE that isn't cured...the paint has to breathe...waxing it will choke it off and you black AE will chalk out haze off, die...after the vehicle has sat for 6 moths, wax away...another reason to take off the wax,is if you don't, the sand paper will grind it into the surface...now try and get it out with polish. Use wax and grease remover at least two or three times before sanding.

Cur it the way described, finish in 2,500 and hand polish...it will work...just follow the instructions laid out.

Best of luck and let me know how it worked.

Ray
Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Ok, I got 1000 grit and 3000 grit from Auto Zone today (they didn't have 2500). I hit like I did previously, going up the grits, and used the rubbing compound and polishing compound, and there were still swirls.

But, then I got an idea. I hit it again with 3000 grit, but only horizontally. I looked in the sun, and sure enough, I could only see horizontal scratches. Then I hit it with the rubbing compound, only working vertically. I only worked in 1 spot for about 10 minutes, and I could see tiny vertical scratches, but also the horizontal scratches from the 3000 grit. Does this mean I should I get coarser rubbing compound? Also, I removed the wax, thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It means that you need to cut it more with say 2,000 grit, and spend a fair amount of time with that, then move to 3,000 grit, you need to take the coarser grit scratches out, 2,000 grit sound be able to hand polish out, 3,00 grit will just make it polish out quicker.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM

The swirl marks are from the buffer/pad your using!

I do a three stage buff and polish on everything.

1st stage is a medium grit buffing compound with a wool pad.
2nd stage is a pink polish with a polishing foam pad.
3rd stage is a polish/glaze with an orbital to remove swirl marks
and then I apply a good hand wax to seal it all!

PS swirl marks are caused when your pad gets dry and you hold the buffer in the same spot to long try moving it faster! I keep a water bottle handy whenever I do any buffing
Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The advice is sound but, he's hand polishing. The paint is fairly fresh as well, I'd wait before I put any wax on it...at least 6 months so it can breath...after that, wax away..

Ray
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since my last post, I've determined the problem was not using the rubbing compound long enough. I worked at the same spot (by hand) for like an hour and finally, the fine scratches went away. After polishing, it looks really good, even in the sun. The only thing is, since I'm buffing by hand, it will take a very long time at this rate. I think I'll get a drill attachment to speed up the process a bit.

@bigblocks Unfortunately, I do not have access to a buffer, and it appears the pad I was using was fine.

Would this be an acceptable method given that I got great results by hand?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It may be a good idea to not use a drill unless you have the right pad and the right drill. The right drill would be one with variable speed. Any other drill would be way to fast. In the mean time, keep using the 2,000 paper and the 3,000, it will make the polishing much easier...It's a lot of work, can you imagine doing a whole car?...LOL

Ray

Tags
acrylic urethane, buffing, polishing, single stage, swirls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.