Switching to 200R Tranny question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003, 05:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Switching to 200R Tranny question

1st post here, and first off i'd like to say hello to everyone and i'm glad to be a new member.

General question really.. my friend is taking apart his Pontiac Grand Prix, think its an 86, and it has a 200R in it. Was actually thinking about buying it, buying a rebuild kit, and sticking it in my car. Couple of problems though. I have an 86 olds cutlass supreme brougham, without an overdrive tranny, 307 engine, and a column shifter...

question is, will this tranny fit in my car without too much of a hassle.. i think the major problem would be the shifter, if the tranny does fit. There anything out there that I can get a column shifter that can handle overdrive, or perhaps a kit for a floor shifter... which actually brings another question as well.. my dash kinda looks like this..

P R N D 1 2

im guessing that would also have to be replaced inside, how would i go about doing that too.. Thanks!

--Anthony

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 05:43 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What's your buddy doing with the Gran Prix? Parting it out? Is it a column shifter or a console? These two cars are identical underneath and all of the carb linkage and shifter cables will need to be transferred to your car so grab everything you can. The column indicator will be fine, you don't need to change it.
Mark
Old 11-30-2003, 06:41 PM

his car is a floor shifter.. are there column shifts available for this? yeah, this car is going to be parted... i think he has a 305 pontiac engine in there, but i want to stick to my 307 olds engine, even though its not the best for performance, but it only has ~ 63000 original miles on it. Thinking about maybe grabbing his carb too, said something about it being slightly better than an olds carb?

off related question so dont yell.. but is there a way to change my spedometer too? ill have to post a pic.. its the spedometer that only goes up to 85 and is not a circle one, you know its the one the goes left to right...
Old 12-01-2003, 04:19 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Before you go to a lot of trouble make sure the 2004R is a "corporate" tranny. Some of them had provisions to mount either the Chevy (which his 305 is) or the B.O.P. motors. If the 200 doesn't have the multiple bolt pattern you won't get it onto your Olds motor.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:00 PM

ok, havent recieved the call from my friend yet stating if his tranny has multiple mounts, hoping so. This needs to be a street legal machine (massachusetts legal), and has big plans in my near future, so what type of shift kit would you guys recommend? I was thinking about getting this rebuild kit as well....

http://ckperformance.com/200R4_rebuild.html

The Stage I master rebuild.

This is my first time attempting any project like this, so any help would be fantastic, IE is there anything i need to do after installing it.. I heard i need to reset my cars computer and/or adjust the TV cable to factory settings for a 200R4.. help

EDIT

Found what i want.. now where to find it around the Boston, MA area.... this is a pick of the dash out of an 87 cutlass supreme brougham. I want this dash and shifter. Will replacing my dash / shifter with this type be too hard of a project?

http://home.comcast.net/~gundarak/images/dash.jpg

Last edited by Gundarak; 12-05-2003 at 08:41 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.