Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Switching cam shaft to fix fuel pump on 1988 Dodge Dakota
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
To get to it, you would need to pull apart the front of the engine. There will not be much contact on the fuel pump arm. Sounds like you have more issues than a fuel pump if a stock pump is making the carb overflow. You need to clean out the lines and carb. What is on there for a carb? If you really feel there is too much pressure, put a guage on it. 88 Dakotas did not come with V8s, (exception of Shelbys). Chrysler did not put V8s in until I believe '93 (newer style). Someone put it in, so find out what the engine is.
Its a 318 that came out of a boat supposedly. i dont mean the stock pump i meant the electric pump which i got out of an '89 dakota. Thats technically stock but not mine. I mean when I had the original mech pump in it worked fine, then didn't work as good, then finally stopped working period. When I put 2 or 3 other brand new mech pumps from the autostores in they would not suck really. I felt a very very small suction on my finger, thats it. But I know on my old Dodge Ram D250 van that it had the same 318 wit that same general chrystler mechanical fuel pump. The '89 elec pump is making the carb overflow, the lines are very clean, the carb is clean, rebuilt by a pro, the fuel preassure gauge I got didn't help much but maybe its lowest psi settings were bad? I couldn't even get the return to work on the regulator. Like I said though I want to just nip this in the bud and return this 318 to using a mechanical pump.

Thats the exact reg I bought.