Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Switching cam shaft to fix fuel pump on 1988 Dodge Dakota
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
That must be an old motor - dont remember 318s being in boats, but it should be basically the same. No reason for having a bad pump, never really came across that issue. It should not take much to fill that carb. You may want to check out the carb and make sure its not filled up with gunk. Also, when the pump is put on, take the fuel line off by the carb and turn it over and see if gas will spray out (into a can). Make sure the pump is primed first. It is not uncommon for a pump to go out, but then again its not a very common thing either.
My friend exaggerates alot too. I amm going to get the numbers off the motor to put its age and origins to rest though. like i said the suction on the pump was there but very soft, the same on the other 2 or 3 new ones. i had them go directly into a jar beneath it and it didn't have enough suction to empty it. the carb has been rebuilt by this redneck oracle I know so I trust the carb with my life lol. I still cant help but wonder if the eccentric was warped when that motor mount broke and my fan ate my radiator. I will confessed the new mech pumps weren't primed though. That is why I was also curious if the eccentric, t chain replacement, and sprocket replacement was tantamount to nipping this issue in the bud? Those 3 items I am willing to put money on/in.