Hot Rod Forum banner

Switching oil types?

964 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
When i bought my car it was using mineral oil, when i changed the oil i used 10w-30 synthetic, now I want to make it right and switch back to mineral oil.

Is it ok to do this just by draining the synthetic and puttin in mineral or do i need to get it flushed?

#3 ·
Leaving synthetic oil in your engine isnt going to hurt anything. Synthetics are far superior to conventional oils. Who knows, maybe someday we will not be able to buy conventional oils (unless it's recycled) at all. Heck, it would cut down on the amount of oil we use, right? Think of all of the vehicles on the roads today with crankcase volumes anywhere from 3 to 15 or more quarts that are filled with conventional oil.

#13 · (Edited)
Rick WI said:
I think were off the same boat. You usually beat me to the punch on stuff like this.

Now.............................about those thermostats holding water in the radiator longer..............J/K ;)
Well, do you believe that they do or they don't?

Radiator flow is determined by the water pump flow or the maximum pass capacity of the radiator..... if the thermostat is closed, of course it holds the water in the radiator longer, but not if it's open.

please check out www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.