Switching from olds 350 to chevy 383... and now I've got problems matching up trannys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2003, 09:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Switching from olds 350 to chevy 383... and now I've got problems matching up trannys

Ok, I'll admit to being basically clueless in regards to which transmission will work with what, etc.

I have BOP turbo 350 and want to hook up a new chevy 383 soon! I had planned to put in a rebuilt chevy turbo 400 but have just learned that the I will need a different yoke and diff length driveshaft.

This is stuff I can't figure out on my own.

Other options are leaving the BOP turbo 350 in and getting a chevy bolt adapter plate. But the tranny isn't built at all and then I believe I would need to get spacers for the torque converter. the guy at the speed shop told me washers would work fine for that but I really don't know what the hell I'm going there.

Other option is a turbo 350 with a chevy bolt pattern. I could give it a rebuild, shift kit, etc and use it. BUT I'm confused about a few things. I would prefer not to have to get a new yoke (even though I'm not quite sure what that is haha) or diff driveshaft. Someday, but not now.

Can anyone help out this transmission rookie a little?

Thanks,

Erik

P.S. I know it might be hard to know without me giving a little more in specifics, but I would appreciate it if you could just give me your best guesses/possiblies. Maybe later I'll be able to give you more info if I can get over to the garage.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 12:02 PM

You will definitely need a new drive shaft slip yoke if you get a th400. As far as the adapter plate and torque converter washers chev th350 trannys are easy enough to find and cheap enough to build, and should be a direct replacement for the tranny. The washer idea is a bad idea, if you don't get the converter PERFECTLY centered that converter is going to throw things out of balance and eventually destroy stuff. I have witnessed the damage of this mistake first hand, the whole tranny (what was left of it) was sitting on the pass. side seat or more like in the seat and he did NOT set it there.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Your best bet would be to get a Chevy 350 or one with a dual bolt pattern. A lot of GM trans were made with a dual bolt pattern that would fit both the BOP and Chevys. I've got a dual pattern 200R4 in my El Camino that came out of an Olds. I think they have eight bolt holes in the bellhousing rather than the usual six. A local junkyard should be able to show/sell you one.

PS - The yoke is the part the slips into the rear of the trans and connects to the driveshaft via the u-joint.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

I've used the adapter to put a BOP trans behind a chevy. The washers come in the kit. There is nothing wrong with using washers as long as the converter pilot is engaged far enough. The converter is held on center by the pilot inserted into the crank, not by the bolts only.
Some people around my area say th350's are becoming hard to find. I have about 7 of them saved up. If you can get one for a chevy build it and use it, if not go with the adapter.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

I adapted a 6-71 blown small chevy to a BOP pattern T-425 trans axle years ago.

I built a FWD 1970 Chevelle with this engine/tranny combo.

The engine was mild , yet over 500 hp and there was no trouble with the adapter setup.

I can post photos of what happens when the drive chain of the T-425 trans axle blows apart. Lots of oil comes out quickly....LOL

Tony
Old 08-24-2003, 05:20 PM

350 tranny's becoming hard to find wow here you can get them for less than the price of the aluminum they are made of. Anyway I have to agree with some of the other posts here just get a chev 350 tranny and get a good rebuild I don't think its worth it to screw around with addaptors and stuff especially seeing how your olds thm350 hasn't been built up anyway. heck you might even be able to find a good used chev turbo 350 and just use it as is for the time being
Old 08-26-2003, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone.

The T400 will have to wait for another time.

I considered getting a chevy turbo 350. But for now have decided to just use the BOP tranny with an adaptor plate.

-Erik

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.