switching to synthetic oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

switching to synthetic oil

I have a 351 cleveland that's all rebuilt I broke it in using conventional oil. I was thinking about switching it to some good synthetic oil. But a long time ago I was told that the left over oil in the engine would cause problems when mixed with synthetic stuff. Is that true? If so how do I get it all out or am I stuck with conventional oil? Is conventional oil really worse than synthetic?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

mixing the two will cause absolutely no issues whatsoever. However, I would run at least 12-15000 miles before switching, as it will take forever to seat the rings with synthetic oils.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxlmod
I have a 351 cleveland that's all rebuilt I broke it in using conventional oil. I was thinking about switching it to some good synthetic oil. But a long time ago I was told that the left over oil in the engine would cause problems when mixed with synthetic stuff. Is that true? If so how do I get it all out or am I stuck with conventional oil? Is conventional oil really worse than synthetic?
No, OMG you can buy synthetic/mineral blends from the major oil companies at the parts store.

Synthetics tolerate quite a bit more temperature before they fail. Their molecules are stronger making them harder to physically pull apart under load, the back side of this is it allows a lighter weight oil to be used while still maintaining adequate protection. This reduces power losses to pumping the oil and windage in the crankcase. They fail without memory, what that means is when synthetic molecules fail that failure is isolated to the molecules involved. When mineral oil fail there's like a memory association that causes molecules not involved in the failure event to spontaneously develop a similar failure. Because of this synthetics can be run for many more miles. Many fleets using very high quality filter systems don't change the oil at all, they just put in additive referesers as needed. But to this requires sending a sample thru a lab to see which additives and how much need to be replaced.

Mineral oil is cheaper!

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.