Syclone Rear End Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2002, 08:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Syclone Rear End Question

OK ... so I'm digging around in the junkyard, looking for parts for my Sonoma/5.7 Vortec conversion, when I spot what looks like a _really_ flat S-10. It turns out to be what's left of a 1992 GMC Syclone! At the end of the day I have a truckload of parts, including the complete rear end. I bought this because it was cheap ($180) and I assumed it was stout enough for the mouse.

Now, of course, I'm wondering what I've really got. I know its a 7 5/8" rather than a 7 1/2", and I counted teeth and it looks like it pretty close to 3.42. I think I can see a clutch pack inside so its probably a posi, but it also seems to have a little centrifugal pawl that locks it up, too. Its a little wider that the rear end that came in the Sonoma, but the spring mounts are identical and it bolted in OK; the tires just stick out an inch or so on each side.

Can anyone tell me where I can get more info on this thing? I'd like to know who made it, just how much power can I run through it, can I rebuild it, was I a dope to buy it, ... you know, stuff like that!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2002, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

you should be ok. the unit is a posi, gm's later model units all look like that. gears from a 7.5 will fit. lots of automatic small block s-tens running around with that rear including mine.(3.73 auburn posi)

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: BOBCRMAN@aol.com ]</p>
Old 11-17-2002, 09:01 PM

Bluesman, I'm new to this board but have done alot of projects for hire like your doing. First off I = hear this type of question on this board all the time. I feel the real question is will it hold up with a set of slicks on at the strip. NO. If your going to run street tires and are ok with some wheel spin then it should be fine for a long time. When guys are looking at the strength of a unit gearing, car weight, traction and intended use need to be a big part of that question. Back before everyone and their dog had a v-8 s-10 I had a D 50 with a 340 in it. I used the 4 banger rear and never had abit of trouble. Having said that I never had it hooked up either. Your rear you picked up has the same parts inside as the Grand Nationals do. They have ran those things into the 10's with the stock rear so I think you'll be fine for a strett ride. Ryan
Old 11-18-2002, 03:08 AM

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by bluesman123:
<strong> it also seems to have a little centrifugal pawl that locks it up, too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats a GovLoc differential, garbage, I've never seen one that wasn't broken.
Did you get the AWD stuff out of the cyclone? That would have been the way to go. You can also find the same drivetrain in Oldsmobile Bravada's.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

You do in fact have a 7.625" 28 spline 10 bolt with a Gov-Lock. This is the same rear used in the regular 4X4 trucks as well (they are 2" wider than a two wheel drive). The 7.625 was used in the LS1 Camaro with a 6-speed. In stock trim, the LS1 could put 300 HP "on the ground". This should allow 12 sec passes in your S truck without problems. The Gov-Lock posi unit is a wonderful thing....On paper. It was designed to lock when there was a 100rpm differance in wheel speed. Then, at about 30mph it would un-lock as to not have any effect on handling. In the real world, they where complicated and broke easy. That and the fact that a posi locking and unlocking during a high power, high speed run was for the birds. I think the Auburn is about the best unit for the 7.625. Very pridictable and strong. Another mod that should be concidered is a girdle. The 7.5/7.625 will break from housing flex. The more power, the more it will flex. This flex allows the gears to move around changing the mesh and contact points. Unless you compleatly over power the thing, you will have premature gear wear as a sign you need a new stronger rear. The max limit on a good 7.625 is about 350hp and 400tq as measured at the wheel. Dan

FWIW, The Grand Nationals used an 8.5" 10 bolt. Whole different ball of wax.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:55 PM

7.625 Grand National rear. Use to have one. My mother bought it new. But hey who cares the thing will work.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Cool

You guys are great!! I've learned more from you in 24 hours than in days of web searching.

Big Thanks!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.