Hot Rod Forum banner

Synthetic Enamel & Acrylic

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  gilby246 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a search for this but wasnt sure if I found what I was looking for

anyway, I was asked to paint a car for someone and they supplied me with the paint. they want a base in one color with stripes in another. The base is duplicolor synthetic enamel and the other I dont recal but its an Acrylic Enamel.
Does anyone know if these two are compatible? Im curiouse if the Acrylic will stick to the synthetic.

they also want a clear coat but accourding to duplicolor the paint was not manufactured for clearcoat and like the paint they dont know if a acrylic clearcoat will work.... DC said the clear coat is "built into the system" when I spoke with them

#2 ·
Answer is yes and no with more than enough potential problems.

If you must do it this way make sure you have a hardener for the acrylic and activate it and shoot that color first.
If that color is the stripe than just shoot that area and tape off when dry.

To be safe, that activated paint should set at least 24 hours (more would be best!) at 70 or so before you tape and shoot other color.

If any of this blows up it will do so by wrinkling or lifting.
If it blows you will never want to paint again.

#3 ·
so I can shoot the acrylic on top of the synthetic as soon as the synthnetic is dry?. I dont need to wait a week....a month.

hmmmm im just going to ask this person to the same type paint just to be safe....although they still want the clear coat so i dont know what to do

BTW- thanks for the reply

#7 ·
I probably wouldn't do it either, especially not knowing how the particular brand reacts.
But I squirted my forklift with synthetic enamel that we mis-mixed. I used hardner in it. A couple weeks later I masked and sprayed on some lettering with acrylic (with hardner). There were no problems.
So it can be done but I agree with the others that the risk may not be worth it.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.