Synthetic Lubes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 08:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Synthetic Lubes

I use synthetic lubes because I've got better things to do than change the lube every 3000 miles. Plus the Amsoil synthetic that I use keeps my engine clean as well as anything I've seen in 30 years of being involved with the automotive after-market.

What kind of experiences have you had with your lubes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2003, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

my girlfriend and i like to use...
Old 07-24-2003, 04:13 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Some people ask Kay Why
I ask, KY not?

Slip sliding away....slip slidin' away ay ay
If you know your destination, so soon you'll be slip sliding away!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

I use Duralube in every car or truck or mower around here. I once had a 78 Impala Wagon 350/350 that I poked a hole in the oil pan while moving to my new place. It lost all its oil on the sidewalk at my old place so before I headed to the new place I stuck some sealer in the hole and Duralube and 4 quarts of oil in the engine. After 3 more trips the oil light came on in the drive way of the new place, no oil in the engine. I pulled the engine to replaced the oil pan and checked the mains and crank and nothing was out of spec so I rebuilt the engine with new brngs and rings and its still running. The wagon has since been junked, put the engine in my 37 Dodge and ran it then pulled the engine and put it in a truck and my Dad's still running it.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I run nothing but synthetic since working in the aircraft industry and seeing the insides of thousands of air cooled engines from radials to flat six turbos.

Every one that had run synthetic was a nice honey gold inside and most parts needed very little rework to restore to like new. Cylinders were almost always round and showed no scuffing wear or bore glazing. Many TO engines run on synthetic had pistons that still looked new, couldn't say that about any petroleum lubed engine I've ever seen.

I have been a convert ever since.

Most of the petroleum oil lubed versions were typical of an engine you might see in a junkyard...and the smell...yech! If nothing else the sludge reduction from running synthetic is worth it alone.

Funny...I never hear them advertising that fact?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:33 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:

My wife's car is coming up on two years old and runs synthetic oil. While the dealer performs all the oil changes every 7500 miles I'm impressed that it stays so clean and does not appear to burn a drop. In fact, I began to think I forgot how to check the oil it stayed so stable. I'm impressed!

Old 40 year old habits keep me checking the oil, spraying and cleaning with Simple Green, AND checking the oil though.

I suspect for my stuff I will continue with regular oil. I do not know what I will use in my about-to-be re-built 302 that only gets 2500 miles a year. r
Old 07-24-2003, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

im with 4jaw-any engine that ive ever torn down that used dino sludge was pretty nasty. the bottom of the pistons and every thing had build up(Quakerstate being the worst that ive seen-but that could have been a fluke). but any syntho engine ive torn down has a very dramaic differenece. parts seem to be cleaner, in better shape and the thing that i really like is its some much more fun being able to tear a motor apart and not be covered in sludge from head to toe.for my motors i always use mobile 1. since my engines get torn down about everyother year-its nice to not have to spend so much time cleaning the parts and useing so much solvent(kindof expensive after a while)
Old 07-28-2003, 08:01 AM

I use Royal Purple in my engines. It works better than any other synthetic. Just go to the website www.royalpurple.com

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.